SEMI-URGENT <hot> scorpion escape!

5trawhat

Arachnopeon
Hello all.

Just a bit ago, I made the mistake of letting my hot scorpion escape. (Tityus crassimanus)

I was removing a piece of wood from his deli cup, but I realized he was still on the bottom of it. I attempted to nudge him off with my feeding tongs, but he unexpectedly climbed around the side of the wood. In a moment of panic, because I didn't want him to climb up the tongs, I placed the wood with him on it in an open, thankfully uninhabited terrarium I had next to me. He climbed off the log instantly and ran to the corner of it. Now he is only around 2nd instar, so about an inch and a half from his head to the end of his tail, and I've read that smaller scorps can climb up the silicone in the corners at this size, so I am worried. The top of the tank has a sliding mesh lid. He is under the log piece now, but on the substrate, so i cant pick him up with the log. He is probably a bit shaken after I tried to push him back into the cup with the tongs, so now I don't know what to do. How can I move him back into the cup safely? I left the cup in there and I am hoping he will climb into it. If he doesn't go back in, how should i move him? I have seen some say to pick them up by their tail, but I am worried about hurting him/him crawling up them. Help would be appreciated!

Attachments

5trawhat

Arachnopeon
SOLVED!! Thankfully I was able to get some advice from a friend, and he is now back in his cup. Help would still be useful for the future though in case something like this happens again haha *knocks on wood*

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
SOLVED!! Thankfully I was able to get some advice from a friend, and he is now back in his cup. Help would still be useful for the future though in case something like this happens again haha *knocks on wood*
Something is missing here
“because I didn't want him to climb up the tongs, I placed the wood with him on it in an open,”
How did it escape?

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
keep catch cups a brush handy nearby i would also make use of that empty tank. as a holding /safe area to place the scorps deli cup into anytime i had to open or mess with it. i would also after your close call sit down and really think about how and what methods i am gonna use any time i need to feed rehouse etc. along with that just incase plan along with praticing safer habits it sounds like you lifted that hide with your fingers(good way to get nailed) rather than using a pair of tongs

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Congratulations on the recapture.
To reiterate kingshockey's excellent advice.
Catch Cup with Lid
Slender Paint Brush
Long Tongs

Above all else Remain Calm when dealing with Critters

Last edited:

MorbidArachnid

Arachnosquire
Big spoon is super useful for dealing with itty bitty 2is. Because they can't grip onto smooth surfaces, a large spoon will just make them run in place until you drop them somewhere else.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Why is a " hot " scorpion in a deli cup, that's asking for trouble doing any maintenance.
Place it in a normal tank where you can see where it is, and not have to panic you both dealing with something in confined spaces.

5trawhat

Arachnopeon
Something is missing here
“because I didn't want him to climb up the tongs, I placed the wood with him on it in an open,”
How did it escape?
Well now that I think about it, not technically escaped. My bad for the wording. I was panicking a bit when writing my original post. He crawled around to the top of the log he was on, and in fear of him falling off onto the desk, I acted quickly and put him in the empty tank, but I consider it an escape since he was out of his cup.

keep catch cups a brush handy nearby i would also make use of that empty tank. as a holding /safe area to place the scorps deli cup into anytime i had to open or mess with it. i would also after your close call sit down and really think about how and what methods i am gonna use any time i need to feed rehouse etc. along with that just incase plan along with praticing safer habits it sounds like you lifted that hide with your fingers(good way to get nailed) rather than using a pair of tongs
I used the tongs to hold and lift up the piece of log, I know these guys are fast so I didn’t want him climbing up them. I would never put my fingers in there haha! Thank you for the advice, and yes, I will definitely think of some better methods.

Why is a " hot " scorpion in a deli cup, that's asking for trouble doing any maintenance.
Place it in a normal tank where you can see where it is, and not have to panic you both dealing with something in confined spaces.
I was told to keep him in there for a bit from the man who sold me him. I plan on moving him to an appropriate tank soon! Thank you for the advice.

Big spoon is super useful for dealing with itty bitty 2is. Because they can't grip onto smooth surfaces, a large spoon will just make them run in place until you drop them somewhere else.
Thank you for the advice!