Selling Queen Ants?

Do you need an Queen Ant to start an ant colony?

• No, there another way

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey to whoever see this. I am just a starter looking to make a colony but what I am missing is a Queen Ant. I been so intrested at them and want to make one myself. If you are selling any kinds of Queen Ants in New York City, New York it would be lovely if you messaged me at my email listed below. Also please comment down below if you know a way to start an ant colony without a Queen Ant.

My email is weiweideng86@gmail.com
If you can’t reach me through email message me through my yahoo account weiweideng86@yahoo.com

Thank you in advance

Francesco

Arachnopeon
You can wait for them to fly. You could also check the GANproject connected with AntsCanada. I believe you can get Ants delivered only with in the borders of your federal state in USA.

shutout2000

Arachnoknight
Yeah, you must be within a person's state to receive them. You might find a seller in your area on formiculture.com as well.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
You need a queen or gamergate to start a colony. Just wait for a nuptial flight and go out and collect any de-alate queens you find

Francesco

Arachnopeon
AntsCanada has actually a video in NewYork. You can find many queens during nuptial flights also in a big city. You could look for some tables where they show when different species will fly in your area (more or less accurate, but climate changes are messing with that too). After you find a queen, please ask for I.D. somewhere. It is important you understand the species, cause, for example, you do not want to keep a parassitic queen (you need another specific colony for that) or you need to understand whether she is claustral or semi-claustral.

You can wait for them to fly. You could also check the GANproject connected with AntsCanada. I believe you can get Ants delivered only with in the borders of your federal state in USA.
I know I checked on AntsCanda but there aren’t any near me it like a 3 hour or longer drive and also like 100 dallors for one Queen. When do they fly in though? I am also not very good at catching them since they fly all over the place and I can’t tell if they are a fly or an ant

AntsCanada has actually a video in NewYork. You can find many queens during nuptial flights also in a big city. You could look for some tables where they show when different species will fly in your area (more or less accurate, but climate changes are messing with that too). After you find a queen, please ask for I.D. somewhere. It is important you understand the species, cause, for example, you do not want to keep a parassitic queen (you need another specific colony for that) or you need to understand whether she is claustral or semi-claustral.
Ok thanks for the advice. Do you know any websites or places that could help me ID a ant?

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
What is a del-alate Queen?
Also what is a gamergate?
A de-alate queen is a queen ant which has mated and pulled her wings off. These are the queen ants you want to catch.

A gamergate is a worker ant who has mated and can lay eggs, essentially taking the queen's role. Only some ant species have these workers, I don think there are many if any in your area so just catch a de-alate queen.

Best time to look for a queen is normally a little while after it rains. If you see a larger than normal ant with a fat abdomen running around in an erratic, zig-zag sort of pattern it's probably a queen

A de-alate queen is a queen ant which has mated and pulled her wings off. These are the queen ants you want to catch.

A gamergate is a worker ant who has mated and can lay eggs, essentially taking the queen's role. Only some ant species have these workers, I don think there are many if any in your area so just catch a de-alate queen.

Best time to look for a queen is normally a little while after it rains. If you see a larger than normal ant with a fat abdomen running around in an erratic, zig-zag sort of pattern it's probably a queen
Ok thanks. Will there be some around after snow?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
If you manage to find a gamergate in New York, it's almost certainly a bad thing (invasive and spreads easily), but they're a cinch to keep, relatively speaking. You won't be likely to find queens out after snow, but you might find pavement ants, if I'm thinking of the right species.