seen my afs dive underwater. is it normal?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would love to see the day when there is a video of a scorp climbing into the water, catching a fish, coming back and eating it on land. THAT would be majestic :D

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's not going to drown, as long as it has a way out, it will be fine. Heterometrus will submerge themselves in water dishes all the time, during the rainy season, they can be under water for hours and hours on end.

dr slevin

Arachnopeon
I would love to see the day when there is a video of a scorp climbing into the water, catching a fish, coming back and eating it on land. THAT would be majestic :D
thats wat im hoping for. my friend suggested to take time lapse. started taking it last night but he was just scanning the whole place.

dr slevin

Arachnopeon
It's not going to drown, as long as it has a way out, it will be fine. Heterometrus will submerge themselves in water dishes all the time, during the rainy season, they can be under water for hours and hours on end.

thanks! im so relieved to hear that. do you know if they also hunt fish?

dr slevin

Arachnopeon
image.jpeg im no longer sure im used to call it asf didnt know there are several heterometrus species.
can anyone tell?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Super old thread but by far the coolest one I've ever seen!!!! I have an AFS would never imagine they can do this..... WTF!!!!

Pipa

Arachnoknight
This definitely makes your mind stretch a bit and think outside the box . haha ...

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
While I can appreciate documenting this behavior as much as anyone (probably more, actually), I'm really tired of people keeping their terrestrial invertebrates like a terrapin.

This is no different then when people give their Hysterocrates species very little substrate to burrow in, but have a massive pool with fish in it.

Yes, the scorpion can and will occasionally completely submerge itself. That does not mean you should give it a water filled enclosure to live in. Heterometrus and Pandinus species typically construct and live in quite extensive burrows. They do not go under water and hunt for fish and other aquatic animals. They are totally unsuited for it.

Last edited:

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
I'm curious if you put something to break the "burble" of the waterfall if it would continue to engage in this behavior. It does seem intentional, but appears to be trying to get at the turbulence of the water. Perhaps it simulates something found in nature? (Other than water, that is.)