Screed lid

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Screen lid

My 10 gallon has a screen lid, and I came home to find my Zebra caught in the screen, hanging from one leg. It seemed she'd been there for a while, and appeared to be quite releaved when I freed her. That's actually the first time I'd seen her out of her little cave in a week or so. She seems to be ok, now and is crawling about the tank as she once did.

My question is, what could I do to keep her from getting caught in the screen? Could I fasten something to the screen on the inside to prevent her from getting caught, but still keep the airflow similar?

N.

Last edited:

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just raise the level of substrate so that the T cant spread its legs wider than the hieght

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Paladin
just raise the level of substrate so that the T cant spread its legs wider than the hieght
That doesn't prevent her from getting caught in the screen if she climbs, that just lessens a fall.

N.

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

get a new lid, if its the screen mesh that is close knit then your t could wind up losing legs from it or worse, i have 1 screen lid buts more like a heavy metal than mesh so i don't have to worry about legs getting ripped off or all that, you could just make your own lid from plexi glass not that exspensive at all--Jeff

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by nocturnalpulsem
That doesn't prevent her from getting caught in the screen if she climbs, that just lessens a fall.

N.
Actually it does. The main reason they get caught in the screens is that they have no support underneath them to extricate themselves if they get caught. By raising the substrate to a level where they can touch ground and the screen lid at the same time, if they were to get caught, they can get the necessary support from the substrate to get themselves uncaught. :)

Scott

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my rosie got caught in the screen all the time...i raised the sub and shes fine. When the T got stuck, i would put my hand under it so it had something to crawl on and it came down on its own.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's a lot of friggin dirt, man. To fill a 10 gallon within 6 inches of the lid is not only a lot of dirt, but it negates the reason I got it. My seemanni is fast as hell, and I wanted something she couldn't take a running leap out of.

Also, my screen lid is metal. I have thought about the plexiglass, though. That;s what I did for my hex tank that I had my A. avic in. I might do that again. I think I'll try attaching some cloth to the underside of the lid covering the screen, or put duct tape over it around the inside edges of it.

N.

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
u dont necesarily (sp.) hav to fill it with substrate. Just put some water bottles or a whatever to take up space. Then just fill it from there.

The tank is lighter and you save on subtrate.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Paladin
u dont necesarily (sp.) hav to fill it with substrate. Just put some water bottles or a whatever to take up space. Then just fill it from there.

The tank is lighter and you save on subtrate.
Nope...she's finally started burrowing.

N.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I found my zebra like that also, exactly the same as yours. I just went out and bought some Lucite (like plexiglass) and drilled my own holes in it and there is no way a spider can get stuck in such a lid.

Mark