Scott's Topsoil

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
So I'm thinking about sacrificing some of my safeguards by replacing my Reptisoil/Zillamix mixture with Scotts brand Topsoil given its more readily available and safe so that I can provide deeper sub for my Ts. My question though for anyone using it was how much peat moss does it contain? I was going to do a 75/25 mix in favor of the topsoil but after reading the bag in person I noticed it already has it. Is it enough to assist in maintaining humidty or is it minimal?

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
For any curiose. It's also a 1:2 ratio of moss to dirt. It's a little more expensive but the uniformity in size is alot better than the uber cheap. Screenshot_20170307-142536.png

cold blood

Staff member
Resized952016110895202632.jpg I wouldn't trust Scotts..its designed to grow plants, that's not what you want...you want the cheap stuff that's sold for filling holes.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
That isnt available in my area. Only thing that is has more rocks and sticks than anything, even broken glass. :/. Screenshot_20170307-144651.png

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Yep, and from time spent in the science field everything is a controlled setting so I figured they would get the idea, know it could potentially be a lawsuit if they lied so it should get the straight story lol.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's better than saying you raise tarantulas. Most people wouldn't care if your spiders die.
Why state your intent at all? That customer service rep doesn't care about what you're using the product for. No need to be paranoid and tell lies about "laboratory settings" and scientific experiments just because you think that they might lie for some unknown reason, lol.
Yep, and from time spent in the science field everything is a controlled setting so I figured they would get the idea, know it could potentially be a lawsuit if they lied so it should get the straight story lol.
They have no reason to lie or fear any lawsuit, especially when all of the information is readily available.
The product label, directions for its intended use, and ingredients are found here: http://www.scotts.com/smg/products/CFLS/SC-PremiumTopsoil-2015-CFL.pdf
Which is taken from its product page here: http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/premium-topsoil/prod140022
Material safety data sheets for their specific products can be viewed here: http://www.scottsmsds.com/
If you use it for anything other than the intended purposes spelled out in the directions and it doesn't work the way you want it to or it causes harm, you really don't have any grounds for a lawsuit. You straying from the product's intended use is not their legal responsibility.

That said, if you're paranoid about using a substrate, try the 'cricket test' that @EulersK uses. Otherwise, just keep using the substrate that has worked for you thus far.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Why state your intent at all? That customer service rep doesn't care about what you're using the product for. No need to be paranoid and tell lies about "laboratory settings" and scientific experiments just because you think that they might lie for some unknown reason, lol.

They have no reason to lie or fear any lawsuit, especially when all of the information is readily available.
The product label, directions for its intended use, and ingredients are found here: http://www.scotts.com/smg/products/CFLS/SC-PremiumTopsoil-2015-CFL.pdf
Which is taken from its product page here: http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/premium-topsoil/prod140022
Material safety data sheets for their specific products can be viewed here: http://www.scottsmsds.com/
If you use it for anything other than the intended purposes spelled out in the directions and it doesn't work the way you want it to or it causes harm, you really don't have any grounds for a lawsuit. You straying from the product's intended use is not their legal responsibility.

That said, if you're paranoid about using a substrate, try the 'cricket test' that @EulersK uses. Otherwise, just keep using the substrate that has worked for you thus far.
Its more of a tactic against lazy employees, you'd be suprised how many will tell you one thing just to avoid the work of looking it up. Yes there is no legal grounds but those same employees who may be dishonest are often motivated to go the extra mile if they fear reprocussions that would reflect or bring to light thier own laziness. That said if you read the entire thread you would see the sub I use is in limited supply in my area so I am in search of a good burrowing sub that is readily available though my options are limited to what HD carries. In the meantime since this has been posted I have heard from others who use this with no ill effects.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Gotcha, guess I'm just overly cautious, several years back I asked the 'biologist/botanist' that was supposedly a PhD Lowe's claimed to have on staff about a soil. Long story short a few weeks later and 2 dead sulcatas after I stopped trusting anything most employees say unless they have a personal stake in the matter. (Thier job)

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Its more of a tactic against lazy employees, you'd be suprised how many will tell you one thing just to avoid the work of looking it up. Yes there is no legal grounds but those same employees who may be dishonest are often motivated to go the extra mile if they fear reprocussions that would reflect or bring to light thier own laziness. That said if you read the entire thread you would see the sub I use is in limited supply in my area so I am in search of a good burrowing sub that is readily available though my options are limited to what HD carries. In the meantime since this has been posted I have heard from others who use this with no ill effects.
I read the thread obviously. Its a dirt conspiracy! :p
Reptisoil or Jungle mix are not in limited supply if you simply order it online...and its often cheaper online than in pet stores.

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
I read the thread obviously. Its a dirt conspiracy! :p
Reptisoil or Jungle mix are not in limited supply if you simply order it online...and its often cheaper online than in pet stores.
Lol. Where do you order it from? Every place I have found is cheaper until I add shipping, then it's more expensive. :/

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Lol. Where do you order it from? Every place I have found is cheaper until I add shipping, then it's more expensive. :/
True, shipping can be a deal breaker depending on your location. I personally order supplies from a number of different companies, but I usually buy a few different supplies all at once to make shipping costs worthwhile (I have a number of other pets in addition to tarantulas). But you can get the bigger 24 quart bags of Reptisoil at a few places for under $20 online, not including shipping. Lately though I've been picking up larger bags of substrate at reptile shows though...cheaper prices and no shipping, can't go wrong there.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
That is why Amazon Prime is the best Walmart around - single yearly price for infinite orders (no gas and no shipping fees) - just look for the Prime symbols.

Having said that I have struggled to find top soil anywhere. I am actually thinking about a hiking trip into the hills to resolve my problem. Everything I see either has the generic label "contains Forest products" or it has additives for use on plants.

Magenta

Arachnosquire
I was at Home Depot on Sunday looking for enclosures and possibly substrate. I'm paranoid that some cedar or yew(is yew poisonous to tarantulas?) could be mixed in with it.

OT: While looking at storage containers I couldn't reach because I'm so short, I asked an employee if he could reach some for me. Along the way, I blurted out "I'm not crazy" and then "usually when people say they aren't crazy it means they really are crazy, but I'm not". He did warn me that the Sterilite containers were poor quality. I think he though I was at least little wacky. Anyway, sorry for the OT.

@cold blood, were did you get that topsoil?

Jeff23

Arachnolord
How much does prime usually run you per year? Might be time to ante up lol.
For it to be worth it you need to be all in for using Amazon as your prime source for assorted items rather than Walmart or Target. From their web site:

The membership fee for Amazon Prime is $99 per year or $10.99 per month.
The first 30 days of the annual subscription are free, and you can cancel anytime.
Students can get a price break, however.
An Amazon Student account is granted some of the Prime benefits, but it's free for the first six months.

Also if they are late on delivery - beyond promised on item listing (usually two days) then you get an extra month of prime for free (but you must alert them when it happens). This has happened to me five or six times (especially with UPS). There is no minimum dollar amount for each prime order. I easily do more than a hundred orders per year with some of them for no more than a couple dollars. You can also buy some grocery goods on prime for cheap prices. Okay enough of me being an Amazon representative :) ....

Magenta

Arachnosquire
Home Depot. $1.37 for 40#

Regionally, some have a brand called timberline (or timberland) as an alternative, but being as close as you are, I would guess you would have the Earthgro.

Ah, thank you!:)