Scorpions that are not too big and can be kept at room temperature?

Harmonicon

Arachnoknight
Hello! I have a desert hairy scorpion right now and I am thinking of getting another species. I would prefer it to be on the smaller side (living in a terrarium at or under 5 gallons for its lifetime) and having it be able to thrive at room temperature (mid 70s). Are there any recommendations? Thank you :)

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Hello! I have a desert hairy scorpion right now and I am thinking of getting another species. I would prefer it to be on the smaller side (living in a terrarium at or under 5 gallons for its lifetime) and having it be able to thrive at room temperature (mid 70s). Are there any recommendations? Thank you :)
Pretty much all of our native scorpion species fit in that category.

Gaultier7

Arachnopeon
The vaejovid scorpions are pretty easy to care for and are happy in smaller enclosures. I personally keep both V. Spinigerus and V. Confusus. Both species would be completely fine in a 2.5 gallon when fully grown.

Harmonicon

Arachnoknight
The vaejovid scorpions are pretty easy to care for and are happy in smaller enclosures. I personally keep both V. Spinigerus and V. Confusus. Both species would be completely fine in a 2.5 gallon when fully grown.
Thanks! can you post a few photos of their setups?

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
centruroides (bark scorpions) but the natives in USA are more venomous. I'm sure though they do okay at room termperatures in fairly small enclosures (they just need bark to climb on/hide in) as they are arboreal rather than ground dwelling.

Harmonicon

Arachnoknight
centruroides (bark scorpions) but the natives in USA are more venomous. I'm sure though they do okay at room termperatures in fairly small enclosures (they just need bark to climb on/hide in) as they are arboreal rather than ground dwelling.
Is their venom dangerous or is it just pain that doesn't need any serious treatment?

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
Is their venom dangerous or is it just pain that doesn't need any serious treatment?
Well there is some gray area there, guess it depends on what you consider dangerous. If it kills 1 out of 1,000 stings? 1 out of 10,000? Any recorded deaths at all?

The Arizona version (centruroides sculpturatus) is the most dangerous scorpion in the US, with some fatalities recorded, although they are primarily from children, elderly and people with compromised immune systems.

Other centruroides species in the US are considerably less dangerous, and although they are still considered medically significant you would almost certainly just have pain that needs no medical treatment.

The exception would be if you are allergic, but then even scorpions with the weakest venom would be a problem for you.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

Never heard of them. And the middle one shows a picture of a Hadrurus spp. being labelled as a Centruroides spp.

Gaultier7

Arachnopeon
Never heard of them. And the middle one shows a picture of a Hadrurus spp. being labelled as a Centruroides spp.
While the sources aren't great, it is still worth noting that certain Centruroides species still do kill plenty of people (although much of that is in developing countries the venom is certainly serious).

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
I didn't write the articles so maybe let the writers (sources) know they're wrong or you've never heard of them...

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
While the sources aren't great, it is still worth noting that certain Centruroides species still do kill plenty of people (although much of that is in developing countries the venom is certainly serious).
Not doubting that their venom can be significant. But I am not sure it is in the top 6 from a toxicity standpoint.
From an exposure to humans standpoint, however, they are definitely a serious contender due to their proximity to human developments (or more accurately, due to human development upon what was once their habitat).

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
How interesting! "Deathstalker scorpions look like toys because of their elastic-like (plastic?) appearance. So please make sure not to pick it up thinking it's a toy!" :rofl:
And then proceeds to shows a video of someone handling a Deathstalker scorpion...