Scorpions from dry environments for beginners?

davidmmx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, I was thinking on buying some scorpions, but I don't really know about many species, and I have to order them in the next few days, so I need help on this. I know I'll like hadrurus. Those are in my list, but i'll make room for some more...

I want them to be able to live in a dry environment, since that will be less troublesome for me when I leave home on holidays. Mild venom is a must, since I'm destined to be stung, and last, but not least, I'd like it to be communal, although I don't think there may be any communal species from dry environments, but who knows:?

Any suggestions???
BTW I'm open to discuss about humidity, but I'm afraid of killing my bugs because of lack of attention...

davidmmx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My fault

I should have said it before... I don't want crab-like scorps. I like them to have a nice tail, and I'll enjoy to see them using it...

Well, if the scorp is small, it's tail will be small, but I mean big tail in comparison to it's body.

Thanks for the answer, anyway :D

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hadrurus sp. and some Vaejovis sp. would fit nicely. They might be hard to get a hold of since you are in Europe though.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't how common S. maurus is in Europe. But those use their venom. Also, some Centruroides sp.

Mike

AirForce1AkaB

Arachnopeon
Not sure about what scorpion to get but if u set up a false bottom setup then your humidty is taken care of months at a time

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
C. Vittatus are communal and dry,
Hadrurus species are communal to an extent if you give them lots of room.
Smerginus (sp) species are desert and communal I believe.

davidmmx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Centruroides vittatus looks amazing!! Beautiful as love itself, but i thought centruroides were supposed to be really venomous...

So... how big should be a tank for two or three vittatus???

About this:
Not sure about what scorpion to get but if u set up a false bottom setup then your humidty is taken care of months at a time
not sure what are you talking about. Anyway, those suggestions about centruroides made me happy. The only scorps I really wanted which need humidity are lychas, but I've seen them at high prices, so I'm not interested.

Thanks for your answers :D

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
C. vittatus are not very venomous. Some other species in it's genus is though.

A tank of 2 or 3 vittatus could be pretty small. I used to keep 2 females in an container that is probably 6" high 6" long and 8" tall. I found they like climb as well.

Mike

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i think he wants to see a trigger happy scorp, not a bouldozer :D

heres what i am thinking

Vajeovis spiniregus / other sp. - medium size for about 2in in adult, fat claws, fat tail, loves to sting, not so venomous at all. communual

Centruroides vittatus - not venomous even its a centruroides, youll love the color, stand out on the environment. communual

Hadrurus sp. - good 5in scorps, communual to some extent, but needs humidity if not yet adult, non venomous.

i think i forgot something... and i think you were looking for sub-arid scorps.

but my best vote goes to vajeovis and vittatus :)

Good Luck!!!

davidmmx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In fact, I'm not thinking about Vajeovis because they are too small... I was surprised when I read C. vittatus were about 3 inches long, because people here post some detailed pictures that led me to think they were bigger, but that must be the price of having communal species in little room.

Hadrurus have everything else I want: size, attitude, and I like their appearance. Just now I've thought on getting 2 Hadrurus and 3 C.vitattus :D unless there are any better species.

Centruroides vittatus - not venomous even its a centruroides, youll love the color, stand out on the environment. communual
I've seen some pictures, and I agree, I like them :drool:

konrad16660

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
get a desert hairy from AZ they are big not really dangerous and have tons of personality. oh yea and they are cheap.
hope that helps
just don't let anyone sell you a deathstalker or a fat tail or an egyptian green those sorts. you don't want to start off with a hot scorp. i would even recommend staying away from bark scorps for the time being considering they are very fast.

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Vittatus are a good beginner, for a Centruroides species they are quite harmless. I've seen their sting described as hitting your finger with a hammer, so it'll hurt but theres no lasting effects of any kind. They can be quick, but as long as you remember to try and trick them to move where you want, theres no problem.

Generally they have a beautiful colouration, mine are much more dull tan colour. But you could easily keep 3 in a 2 gallon aquarium. Plenty of hides, id suggest cork bark placed vertically.

If you're getting a Haddy, bare minimum 5 gallons, I gave mine 10 gallons, and about 6" or more of sand/peat to dig in , cause they will dig, and dig and dig.

Both are very good choices for pets. I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In fact, I'm not thinking about Vajeovis because they are too small...
Wouldn't call this one too small:

(scale is in mm)

(Probably Vaejovis punctatus punctatus, Puebla, Mexico)

If that's too small, how about:

The "giant" of the genus is V. intrepidus intrepidus, which may reach almost 10 cms!
(Rolando Teruel)

Last edited:

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You know, if you're worried about humidity, why don't you just build a humidifier and leave it plugged in? I built one out of a pickle jar and some common aquarium supplies.
I posted pics of it here: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=87825&highlight=humidifier
Disregard the two black wires coming out of the lid, this was a failed attempt to heat the water, and therefore the humidified air, using a submersible heater. The design is simple other than that. Supplies: Air pump, air line, air bubble stone, Glass jar, and some filter foam or natural sponge (I may switch to this for sanitation purposes), silicon (optional). Tools: Drill and bit, hands.
Assembly was approximately one hour.
While I still mist all of my moisture-philes (I just plain enjoy it), this gives me the freedom to leave the house for undetermined amounts of time, and may open up the door for more species for you.
Hope this helps, you stated you were open to discussion on the humidity issue.

Last edited:

davidmmx

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I'll try to figure out how to assemble those things together, but I'm not really skilled with the hands, and I don't know what is an air bubble stone, or what are you talking about when you say "air line". I'll ask in some shops around here... thanks :D

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I'll try to figure out how to assemble those things together, but I'm not really skilled with the hands, and I don't know what is an air bubble stone, or what are you talking about when you say "air line". I'll ask in some shops around here... thanks :D
Go somewhere that deals with aquariums, they'll know what it is. I'll try to get pics of all the equipment to clarify, not going to happen today though.
[edit]Actually you can go to any aquarium supply website and look at most of this stuff, key words: aquarium supply
look up air stone, air pump, filter pad, etc. The 'air line' is just clear vinyl tubing that fits onto the air pump. I pesonally use two different sizes, but just to maximize my output into a large tank. You should only need one pack of tubing for what you need.
The only actual work you would do in this project is drilling two or three holes, the rest is just hooking up the tubing to air pump, and throwing pieces together. Nothing fancy.

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If the humidity problem is bothering you dont let it. I used to think the same way as you do but now I have a new way of thinking. For humid loving scorps use plastic boxes, drill a few holes around the sides and supply about 3-4 inches of moist peat. I go to Peru several times a year for 2 weeks at a time and my scorps have no problems what so ever. Here is an example in case you are visually oriented like I am