scorpion venoms??

spidspud

Arachnopeon
can anyone explain the venom levels to me??
i have heard things be called "level 2" venomous etc.

what needs a licence?
whats deadly?
like australis is level 5, so r levels 2,3,and4 harmful?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The 1-5 method isnt the best method in the world but generally speaking 3 and above is consider warm to hot. If you are in the US you dont need a liscense. If you are in the UK you are supposed to have a permit which I'll let someone from the UK explain that.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you are in the UK you are supposed to have a permit which I'll let someone from the UK explain that.
I don't live in the UK but I was curious as to what was involved in getting a DWA license and contacted DEFRA here is the email I got back...

Dear Michael

THE DANGEROUS WILD ANIMALS ACT

Thank you for your email of 15 February asking for information on licences under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act. I have been asked to reply.

The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 was originally introduced as a private members bill in response to public concern about the keeping of dangerous pets, especially big cats. Its primary aim is to ensure that where private individuals keep dangerous wild animals, they do so in circumstances which create no risk to the public.

Licences are required to permit the keeping of any animal which appears on the schedule to the Act. Licences are issued and managed by your relevant local authority and will only be granted when the authority is satisfied that it would not be contrary to public interest on the grounds of safety or nuisance; that the applicant is a suitable person; and the animal's accommodation is adequate and secure. Where the local authority grants a licence, it will impose conditions covering issues such as:

* a requirement that the animal be kept only by a person or persons named on the licence;
* restrictions on the movement of the animal from the premises as specified on the licence; and
* a requirement that the licence holder has a current insurance policy which ensures both licence holders and others against any liability caused by the animal.

With regard to the cost, it is for each local authority to determine the fees that it charges for licence applications. The Act states that applications shall be 'accompanied by such fee as the authority may stipulate (being a fee which is in the authority's opinion sufficient to meet the direct and indirect costs which it may incur as a result of the application).’

Comprehensive information on the Act, including the Schedule of Species, can be found at www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/gwd/wildact.htm. For information on the further points you were interested in, you may wish to contact your local authority who should be able to help you.

Yours sincerely

Julie Tucker

Defra - Customer Contact Unit
Passing along trivial information is my specialty! Thaedion

intrinsic_scorp

Arachnopeon
U.S. States

I believe you actually need a permit to have certain venomous species in Florida. That might only be for reptiles, though.

Some states outlawed importing certain venemous species into the state.

Check your local state laws.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well the local coucil here charge £175, whcih is one of the cheaper ones iv seen, lol it has to be renewed every year as i know

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is definently a thread around here detailing how to get a uk license... Search using the propers terms.