Scorpion Picture Thread

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
From Kovarik's 2004 review of the Parabuthus genus:

Distribution.—Endemic to Namibia and
South Africa. The distribution of P. villosus extends across the Orange River. This species has not been recorded from north of the Kunene River (Prendini 1995), but its association with rocky mountain desert in the Kaokoveld of northwestern Namibia (Kunene Region) suggests that this may be due to undersampling, and that it may yet be discovered in the Namibe´ Province of southwestern Angola.

Ecology.—Parabuthus villosus is a semilithophilous species, inhabiting consolidated sandy, gritty and clayey substrata in extremely rocky habitats. This species excavates burrows under rocks or stones and never in open ground. Dorsoventral compression (especially of the carapace), reduction in the macrosetal combs of basitarsi I and II, and increased curvature of the telotarsal ungues indicate a semilithophilous ecomorphotype (Eastwood 1977; Prendini 2001a, b).

Parabuthus villosus is unusual among species of the genus, and indeed among scorpions generally, in that it is commonly active during the day (Newlands 1974a; Harington 1982). This species is an errant forager that may be observed actively hunting for prey from midday through the afternoon and on into the night.

Parabuthus villosus is sympatric with P. brevimanus, P. granulatus and P. raudus in parts of its distributional range. However, due to its occurrence in extremely rocky habitats, P. villosus is rarely found in syntopy with other species of Parabuthus. The species is allopatric with its sister species, P. transvaalicus.

Attachments

ThatBugGuy

Arachnosquire
this is my emperor, first scorpion too. got it like 2 days ago.
also i cant really see anyone else's pictures some say photo bucket and others i cant load the link
anyhow hope this contributes to the thread

Attachments

Harmonicon

Arachnoknight
scorpion.JPG
hadrurus arizonensis (this was in the temporary setup when I just got her. She lives in a 10 Gallon with 6 in of substrate now. (excavator + sand))

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
New juveniles! The franzwerneri were ordered from AB's own @NYAN and he packed em and shipped em like a real pro.
Dude ! Nice !!
I have a adult female myself, stunning looking creatures.
Mine has always been pretty aggressive, never too shy to attack the tweezers instead of hiding (like most Hottentotta's).

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Dude ! Nice !!
I have a adult female myself, stunning looking creatures.
Mine has always been pretty aggressive, never too shy to attack the tweezers instead of hiding (like most Hottentotta's).
Agreed I love the Hottentotta tude and this is one of the genera's most stunning species if not the most stunning alone.