Scorpion peeps

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is an interesting one...

I was speaking to a breeder out west who told me that there is a species of scorpion native to Canada. It is suposed to be a very small scorpion that lives in the praries.

Any truth to this or am I having smoke blown up my ass (I think the second option seems to be the case) It seems pretty far-fetched... I can't find anything to confirm this BUT also nothing to disprove it.

Thought one of you might have an idea because I would hate to be missing out on a Canadian scorp!

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He was right... Paruroctonus boreus, the Northern Scorpion can be found in Canada: in southern BC and AB. They are nocturnal and burrowers, so rarely seen unless you're looking for them... and they hibernate as soon as it gets colder. :)

Rav

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Chris,

It is true. I don't know what the collection laws are, though. Still .... road trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Dave

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hell yah road trip is right! ANd here I was thinkin that all we had good here was beaver lol

Thanks for the 411 boys!

T

Tarantula

Yeah right here in Kamloops we have scorpions but I have only seen one and it was caught by another arachnid collector around here. He said he caught it in the hills and I can see why. It is like a desert here. Once I get more familiar with the area he is gonna take me out.

Boris

Arachnopeon
Kamloops???

What kind of name for a town is that? Do they make Fruit Loops there?

;P

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Solifugae in Canada

Just thought Id share that even solifugids (sunspiders/windscorpions), mainly the species Eremobates pallipes (very common US species as well) make it up to southwest Canada. Solifugids are almost primarily desert scrub-land/semi-tropical dwelling creatures so it is pretty amazing that they are in Canada. So if solifugids make it in Canada, then scorpions definetely do as well :)

Alex S.

T

Tarantula

Originally posted by Boris
Kamloops???

What kind of name for a town is that? Do they make Fruit Loops there?

;P
I think it is an Indian name or something like that. A lot of the cities in this region are named after either British royalty (Victoria,PrinceGeorge,Prince Rupert) or Indian words.