Scorpion not eating

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi

I have an emperor scorpion that hasn't eaten since I got her. The guy I bought it from said it was pregnant. I've tried to feed it, its very active, but she just won't eat! Its temp is normal, its humidity is normal, I just don't know... But I think over the week and a half I had it and it possible its gotten even fatter. Is this a sign she's giving birth soon?

Thanks

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have had a large female emp for about 2-3 weeks now and she pinches crickets but leaves them on the soil. i don't think she is preggy and i have heard that larger emps don't eat much and can fast for months.

correct me if i'm worng please:D

froeps

Arachnopeon
pregnant females don't eat before they give birth, my pregnant vittatus don't eat eather and I aspect babies soon...
but I don't have experience with emps, but if she's very active could be thats she's pregnant if you see thats she getting fatter...just don't worry

konrad16660

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if your emp is gravid it probably won't eat if it is close to giving birth, Emps also don't tend to eat a whole lot. My scorps the third the size eat more than them.;) good luck with them babies!

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah I can't wait to see the baby scorpions!:D

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
She's also really agressive, so can that tell you anything about when she's giving birth?

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if you have new ones on the way, congrats ;-). Normally as others have stated, they will fast for quite a while at times.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My emp who gave birth around December 2006 didn't eat for 2-3 months. She's just drinking water and finally she ate about 3-5 supermealworm 2 weeks before she gave birth :D

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
... i have heard that larger emps don't eat much and can fast for months...
Scorpions do fast, large or small, all of mine fasted for nearly 3.5 months. ( small P cav. medium P. imp and large H spp)

pregnant females don't eat before they give birth...but I don't have experience with emps, but if she's very active could be thats she's pregnant if you see thats she getting fatter...just don't worry
I had a gravid emp (now a new mother) that ate on occasions over the last couple weeks, but only when I put a crix in front of her, I would agree IM(limited)E they don't actively hunt (but she also just came off a fasting spell)

if your emp is gravid it probably won't eat if it is close to giving birth, Emps also don't tend to eat a whole lot. My scorps the third the size eat more than them.;) good luck with them babies!
IM(limited)E I agree with the not eating much when gravid. But in general I have emps that would eat alot (1 crix in each claw and 1 in the mouth, or a medium hisser), and on occasions the same ones would not eat at all.

She's also really agressive, so can that tell you anything about when she's giving birth?
Note the thread I just started here --> http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=88647

Regards Thaedion

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been hand feeding my one emp with a hemostat lately, and she seems to eat better when I do that as opposed to just dropping them in. It's about the only thing she does entertaining. The heterometrus won't go for that, and the vaejovis is too small to do that with, I'd try that if your that worried... bu tif a scorp doesn't want to eat that's they're problem, not ours. :)

PS It seems like 3 times a week someone posts saying the pet store person said they have a gravid emp... I'm starting to belive this is just the pet stores under the general assumption that most females are imported gravid. I wouldn't be so worked up about it, if it happens it does, if it doesn't it doesn't. And if it does, goto the FAQ and print the guide to raising them. I would only anticipate it when you see the mate and have an expecting date. Also, the scorpion will not show immense signs of change of the course of a week, similar to how a baby develops, you will not see a women who shows no sign of pregnancy and then a week later shes gained 35 pounds, the groweth is more gradual.

Last edited:

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
EAD063, since they are wild caught you can almost always presume that wild caught females will be gravid because they is breeding in the wild. At my petstore they had 10 P. imperators, I sexed them all and all were female. ANd they were all huge, most likely gravid. I highly doubt a petstore would feed them enough to get them fat.

Mike

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some just are monsters though :) I still think the majority of petstores are too uneducated to give accurate opinions on these sort of things. I don't want to discourage the person, but it's easier to discover a brood then to wait and wait and nothing happens. I wish him luck though, which is why I gave him the link. :)

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
PS It seems like 3 times a week someone posts saying the pet store person said they have a gravid emp... I'm starting to belive this is just the pet stores under the general assumption that most females are imported gravid. I wouldn't be so worked up about it, if it happens it does, if it doesn't it doesn't.
Yes but I didn't get this from a pet store. I got this from a scorpion breeder at a reptile show who also had a wide variety of other scorpion and inverts.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes but I didn't get this from a pet store. I got this from a scorpion breeder at a reptile show who also had a wide variety of other scorpion and inverts.
Cool, then you should be all set then. :) Usually "the guy" means the pet store owner. Curse you and your expos... we have none in my area.