Scorpion Magic Eye, can you do it?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I can't do it without my contacts in . . . :(

I can never seem to do the "walleyed" method -- only the crossed method. The hardest part for me sometimes is convincing my eyes to focus somewhere other than the point that their views converge.

Feelers

Arachnopeon
A good trick I found from those links, get some sort of desk lamp and place it next to where you are sitting, (ie on the arm of your chair). The increase in light levels makes your eyes focus more easily. Then while looking at the screen focus on the reflection of the lamp. Since it is next to you it will be twice the distance from the screen (there and back) which is the focal length you need to use the "wall eye" method. So you can just swap looking at the lamp for the picture on the screen. Make small movements, if it starts going out of focus start again.

You can just focus on your reflection also, but with the bright light it will make things easier.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe I'll make one to view cross-eyed later, or maybe someone else will beat me to it. I wasn't sure if anybody was going to see that other one.

Feelers

Arachnopeon
Galapoheros I wanted to see if making them crosseyed or not was as simple as swapping the images around. It works.

loyaluntodeath

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
this thread is awsome! ive always been able to do these things, i look at the pictures and it just pops out at me, its kinda cool. :)

oh and btw... thanks for the new background pictures! :D got any more cool 3D pictures i could steal from ya? :p

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool. I may do it with an emp later for something diff and to also keep it a scorp thread. I didn't pick a good scorp for the first one since it's a really flat scorp, ha. When you figure out how to view these, you could actually watch small 3D movies like this on your monitor. They'd have to be small because our eyes just aren't designed to diverge very far, accept for that pop-eyed actor dude, forgot his name. The idea has popped in and out of my head for a couple of years now. You'd have to have two vid cams going spaced a few inches apart and shooting the same thing somehow, or maybe a special camera with two lens space apart from each other. Then you'd need to sync the movies up somehow, have them running at the exact same time side by side just like the two images of the scorp there in the post. I think that would be pretty awesome looking.

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wait a minute, there's a scorp in that picture??!!!..I saw two kittens playing with a ball of yarn............................................................;) :D :D

Feelers

Arachnopeon
First go at animated magic eyes(may take a bit to load)

Well I figured I'd try something new, after seeing that wikipedia page! This was pretty fun to make, I really just wanted to see if it worked. {D

I apologise if it's too big, I really have no idea how to optimize these things. I also just found out that by changing where you focus you can even get double ups of the image. If that happens readjust your focus. I decided to do this one as random dots, that way people who can't do them don't get any clues whatsoever because each frame's background it completely different. ;P

Last edited:

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like the moving one. Kind of hard to see much detail. I love the cross eyed method. I can do it from about 1.5 feet away from the monitor 2 feet or more its a bit more difficult. I can also blink easily as normal or fast and even look around the photos a lot without loosing any focus didn't know if it was just me :)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That one's pretty cool. I looked down deeper and saw the doubling up you were talking about. You can make those huge. You just can't make the images big that sit side by side like in the scorp pic example and have it work like that. Maybe you could make the images bigger and use the cross-eyed method but they get too big real fast if you try to use the wall-eyed method. Our eyes cross well but don't diverge much. Oh!, ha, I just noticed yours has motion, sorry, I still have dialup service, it sucks. That looks like it took some work, that's really cool. It'd be nice to make a vid like this that's not animated but as far as I know, that technique is limited to animation. To see real vid in stereo using the same viewing method, my thinking is that it has to be two miniature side by side movies shot at slightly diff angles. Anyway, yeah man that's cool! Seems like a smaller version of something like that would be cool to see on the AB homesite.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
TIps on Viewing These Images

I can do ones is a picture frame with glass over it to focus on a reflection easily. I find I need a trick to do the ones on a non-reflective computer screen.

Here is the trick I use to get my eyes to allow me to see them on the monitor.

1) Put your face about 1ft(30cm) from the monitor.
2) Get a pencil, pen or straw and hold it about 1/2 between your face and the monitor with the tip near the center of the image.
3) Focus on the tip of the pen, pencil, straw and you should feel your eyes moving to the correct position.
4) Just concentrate on focusing on the tip but pay attention to the image.

You should eventually be able to see them...even the moving image.

John
];')

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that was a pleasant surprise!
I like those magic eye things, they are a HUGE challange for me, I just did them because I had a laptop in hand, I felt very silly holding a laptop to my face!

aaahhh... Kane... what a man. ;) my first crush was a demonic megalomaniac. Good to know. Kind of loses his charm when I think "I could do better...." :cool: