"Scorpion Jumbo Lines?!"

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
Hi, I just wanted to ask if you've all heard about jumbo line scorpion? In the group that im in, a couple of people are claiming that they have jumbo lines, what I mean by jumbo line is that the scorpion that they have is a lot bigger that the normal size. I can't find any documentation regarding this, and I know in my country that if someone will claims that "something", everybody claims it as well. Like the issue with LQD, I was wondering if "jumbo line scorpion" is in your hobby as well. Thanks!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
For a moment my guess was an airline company :-s

Never heard that but ain't a 'scorpion man' at all, uh.

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
and someone claim that he has P. Traansvalicus i7 same size with H. longimanus. but no proof

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Most likely Bs then or it's just another "nickname" for another common scorpion made up by a few people

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I guess you guys are talking about jumbo rainforest emps vs. savanna populations. I haven't seen absolute proof but I also have little doubt over there being populations of large individuals, and populations of smaller individuals. The closest evidence I have witnessed has been when I've seen shipments of wild caught emps come into a pet store before the Ghana export ban. Usually all would be around 5.5 inches and maybe a box of 100 or more, all on the small side. Much more rare to see would be another shipment of massive looking things 6 to 7 inches long, wild caught, which points to there being areas of larger individuals and smaller individuals. I have some bigger ones over here, I think I can dig up a pic in my photobucket somewhere. OK found a pic of these that are bigger than what people typically see. There's no way to measure here but they are on the large size. When I show these to people they first say they are bigger than what they usually see. And yes those colors are due to recent molts.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I guess you guys are talking about jumbo rainforest emps vs. savanna populations. I haven't seen absolute proof but I also have little doubt over there being populations of large individuals, and populations of smaller individuals. The closest evidence I have witnessed has been when I've seen shipments of wild caught emps come into a pet store before the Ghana export ban. Usually all would be around 5.5 inches and maybe a box of 100 or more, all on the small side. Much more rare to see would be another shipment of massive looking things 6 to 7 inches long, wild caught, which points to there being areas of larger individuals and smaller individuals. I have some bigger ones over here, I think I can dig up a pic in my photobucket somewhere. OK found a pic of these that are bigger than what people typically see. There's no way to measure here but they are on the large size. When I show these to people they first say they are bigger than what they usually see. And yes those colors are due to recent molts.

Safe to move them that soon after molting?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As long as it’s kept in mind that they are still fragile, I’ve had no problems moving them after the chela fill out. I’ve even had to scoop several up over the years in the middle of molting with no problems. You have to be real gentle of course, I wouldn’t say that is safe but nothing bad has happened while having to free a few with some molting problems.