Scorpion Information Site

mkieff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I started this thread in a different thread, and thought that I should start one of its own.

I am interested in starting a site about scorpions where everyone can go to find information on all the different species. It would contain references to other sites, and resources on the web. Kind of like a wiki for scorpion lovers. I am a web developer by trade, so it would not be that hard for me to set up a domain, etc and get the project started. I would just need some help in finding the references.

So bottom line, do you guys think this type of site would be used, and would any of you be willing to help me moderate and collect the data?

K3jser

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There is a scorpions only forum where i mod, its pretty good we got alot of good ppl there, and more coming all the time.. so thats a pretty good site for getting information.. :D

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What would be cool is if it were a wiki style page, with the links to the species being a basic care sheet for the beginners, with subpages for the interested on breeding, raising young, enclosure setups, etc. I'll help you too.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I agree, that'd be cool to type in the species and get info on it, a lot better than having to search all over pages for the scorp and how to take care of it. Hope you don't give up on it. A lot of scorp sites but I don't remember coming across one like a wiki scorp site. Wait, is Wikipedia already grabbing up info and doing that with scorps? I've never tried it.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sound like a good idea Xaranx. I like wiki, mkieff if you need any help at all let me know. You can use my site(the one Kejser is reffering to) for any information. I got a few papers I can contribute as well. Let me know what you need and I'll try to get it. The link is on my signiture.
-Eddy

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
damn, guess I need to start a wiki :(

I can try with my free time and have help form members and gurus here.

mkieff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, I have purchased the domain name, and have started getting things set-up. In the next couple of days I will give you guys the domain name and we can go from there.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
damn, guess I need to start a wiki :(

I can try with my free time and have help form members and gurus here.

Actually I took upon myself to do just that. http://scorpionwiki.wetpaint.com/
Just made it a few minutes ago. I will be contributing as much as I can but running ScorpionForum and going to school+work gives me very little time. I'm sure a lot of you would like to contribute to this hobby by adding to the site. I will also like people to PM me if they are interested in Moderating or Admin positions. This is a blank Wiki so but I'm posting the link here so that people can start adding.
-Eddy

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, I have purchased the domain name, and have started getting things set-up. In the next couple of days I will give you guys the domain name and we can go from there.
Cool let me know if you need help. Setting up.

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Look like this wiki site will provide a nice down and dirty approach for info on scorps.

-Dustin

mkieff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The site http://www.scorpopedia.com is coming along pretty nicely. Some of you have already posted info. If anyone wants to contribute, they are more than welcome. We need Care Sheets and Fact Sheets on almost all the scorpion species.

Also, if you have any good write ups you can add them in the FAQ and Jargon section.

As always, suggestions are welcome. Lets pool our resources and make it an awesome wiki.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I have joined but have not yet edited anything. I notice, for example, that the conventions used in the wild caught log are a bit off. There is already conventions in place for dealing with taxonomic nomenclature -- species binomial should be italicized not bold and the full binomial should be used unless you are repeatedly referencing the same genus. Thus it should be Centruroides sculpturatus Should this be written up as such or will that be "too formal"?

Cheers,
Dave

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The site http://www.scorpopedia.com is coming along pretty nicely. Some of you have already posted info. If anyone wants to contribute, they are more than welcome. We need Care Sheets and Fact Sheets on almost all the scorpion species.

Also, if you have any good write ups you can add them in the FAQ and Jargon section.

As always, suggestions are welcome. Lets pool our resources and make it an awesome wiki.
seem like i'll be busy the rest of this week and the beggining of the next. But I did post up a link to the site on the VL and SF. I encourage all members of SF to help contribute so you should be seeing more people contribute soon.
-Eddy

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I joined up -- I went through all the genera listings and italicized them, added a page for U. mordax, and did some general cleanup here and there.

Edit: OOH! How about going to Wikipedia's scorpion page and adding this to the "external links" section?

Edit edit: Done!

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been slowly but surely adding care sheets for the scorpions I keep, got emps, h. judaicus, and b. jacksoni done so far. Gonna start on the rest later. A little bit of work by everybody goes a long way, its coming along nicely guys.

mkieff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just wanted to thank those that have contributed to the site so far. It is starting to come along.

It still has a ways to go.