Scorpion identification (Bought this as an Emperor Scorpion)???

Stugy

Arachnolord
Highly unlikely that it is an Emperor depending on where you purchased it. To me I see an Asian Forest scorpion (Heterometrus sp.). I don't know too much on whether or not the Emperor ban affected Canada though.

James Bradfield

Arachnopeon
Highly unlikely that it is an Emperor depending on where you purchased it. To me I see an Asian Forest scorpion (Heterometrus sp.). I don't know too much on whether or not the Emperor ban affected Canada though.
This is a video of an Emperor Scorpion and it looks exactly like the one I have. Check it out

Stugy

Arachnolord
This is a video of an Emperor Scorpion and it looks exactly like the one I have. Check it out
But Asian Forest scorpions look extremely similar also :/ I think I read that the claws of Pandinus imperator and dictator are very granulated while yours is not so much, resembling Heterometrus due to that. See even in the video the claws of the scorpion are heavily granulated.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I really HOPE you didn't pay the price of an emporer.... their is a big price difference. If possible see what you can do about that

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Baby emps have smooth chela/claws and are narrow like Heterometrus adults. However that is a Heterometrus, baby emps always have very light, almost white-light brown telsons(bulbous part of the stinger). It's just too dark there to be an emp.

James Bradfield

Arachnopeon
Baby emps have smooth chela/claws and are narrow like Heterometrus adults. However that is a Heterometrus, baby emps always have very light, almost white-light brown telsons(bulbous part of the stinger). It's just too dark there to be an emp.
The very tip of the balb on the stinger does go a very light color when it molted the stinger was very light compared to the rest of the tail.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The very tip of the balb on the stinger does go a very light color when it molted the stinger was very light compared to the rest of the tail.
Pandinus spp. and Heterometrus spp. look similar when younger but as they grow they start to show differences in their characteristics that distinguish the two.

James Bradfield

Arachnopeon
Pandinus spp. and Heterometrus spp. look similar when younger but as they grow they start to show differences in their characteristics that distinguish the two.
This picture is a very close up picture. This Scorpion is a very young scorpion and there is no telling the two apart. Today I brought the scorpion back to the breeder and showed them that every one on this forum is saying it's a "Asain Forest Scorpion", and they showed me the parents on site which was definitely a "Emperor Scorpion" by the size of it's claws. I am 100% convinced now that it is indeed an Emperor Scorpion after seeing the parents.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
This picture is a very close up picture. This Scorpion is a very young scorpion and there is no telling the two apart. Today I brought the scorpion back to the breeder and showed them that every one on this forum is saying it's a "Asain Forest Scorpion", and they showed me the parents on site which was definitely a "Emperor Scorpion" by the size of it's claws. I am 100% convinced now that it is indeed an Emperor Scorpion after seeing the parents.
It is not an Emperor Scorpion.

But I digress.

The care is the same for both species so give it the proper set up and it will remain healthy.

James Bradfield

Arachnopeon
It is not an Emperor Scorpion.

But I digress.

The care is the same for both species so give it the proper set up and it will remain healthy.
This is 100% an Emperor Scorpion, did you see the parents of this scorpion? Well I did today, I did not truly think it was either so I went to the reptile store to complain that they don't label their animals proper, and they double looked at my scorpion they sold me, and took me in their back room and showed me both the female and male used in the breeding which were Emperor parents 100%, huge claws on the parents just like a Emperor. How can I argue with that?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
This is 100% an Emperor Scorpion, did you see the parents of this scorpion? Well I did today, I did not truly think it was either so I went to the reptile store to complain that they don't label their animals proper, and they double looked at my scorpion they sold me, and took me in their back room and showed me both the female and male used in the breeding which were Emperor parents 100%, huge claws on the parents just like a Emperor. How can I argue with that?
You know for a fact that you saw the true biological parents? How easy is it to claim something? They may very well have a pair of Emps but it does not mean your specimen came from them. Heterometrus spp. are easy enough to acquire. Is this a known breeder or a random pet store somewhere? @Galapoheros is one of the people that said it is not an Emp, and he has a lot more experience in this than many. @gromgrom is another that could take a look at it. You could post a few more images to help with the identification.

Honestly, all that matters is that it is cared for properly, it doesn't matter what species it is. On that note, may I inquire as to the set up you have for it? What are the temps/humidity? Does it have enough substrate to burrow?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Can you post more pictures..... trust me man we are absolutely not her to knock your scorp but truly based off that pic it doesnt appear to be emp.... and in all honesty them showing you the "parent's " could be another random 2 emperors they already had, we hope that isnt the case but most reptile stores are extremely un knowledgeable into detail on species and genus. Asian forest are very very very commonly sold as emps.. but who knows maybe you bought an odd ball lol hopefully you got what you paid gor ultimately

James Bradfield

Arachnopeon
You know for a fact that you saw the true biological parents? How easy is it to claim something? They may very well have a pair of Emps but it does not mean your specimen came from them. Heterometrus spp. are easy enough to acquire. Is this a known breeder or a random pet store somewhere? @Galapoheros is one of the people that said it is not an Emp, and he has a lot more experience in this than many. @gromgrom is another that could take a look at it. You could post a few more images to help with the identification.

Honestly, all that matters is that it is cared for properly, it doesn't matter what species it is. On that note, may I inquire as to the set up you have for it? What are the temps/humidity? Does it have enough substrate to burrow?
Yes, I have a proper set up, as far as I know. One thing I don't do with my scorpion is keep the temps, I really need another temperature gage. I trust the people that sold the scorpion to me because I've known them a very long time, but who knows really. I shouldn't have said 100% because who knows anyone could be wrong, the lady Karen from the All Reptiles store where I bought my scorpion said both Asian Forest scorpion and emperors look exactly the same when they are young, and she said I will see once it get a bit bigger that it really is an Emperor, so I'm going to let this scorpion grow and see for myself. I do appreciate everyone's advice. Again I could be wrong, and so can the people where I got it from.