Scorpion Enclosure Setups

DreamWeaver8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yea, really nice stuff. Question, I see a lot of really large rocks. I am always terrified that using them will result in a really bad day for a scorp if they should fall. any worries there? I use flowerpots and even silicone the branches/logs I use to the tank walls.

Bill
Well the one all the way to the left in the first picture is sitting on an upside down half log thing thats been buried in the sand a bit and the one all the way to the right is on top of two rocks that have been dug to the bottom of the tank including the false bottom and a inch of sand, its very stable and she cant bury under it because they reach the bottom and with the sand i figure if it wants to burrow it still can with the sand.

High_Rolling_T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It is in the sticky "Commonly Used Thread Index, Emergency Information and FAQ" next to "Scorpion Enclosures" as Link 1. There's also a bunch of other good threads in there so check it out.

CABIV

Arachnosquire
Here is my enclosure, a 5.5 gallon tank with a "damp" and "Dry" side. Note the Heterometrus in the back-left corner of the tank, which almost certainly believes itself to be invisible.

AAA

Arachnopeon
I am building some new enclosure for Pandinus imperator . . . 1,2-3 ? I hope.
I got that terrarium for 20 Euros. (shop prize is about 150€! incredible)
Only one damaged thing was that lock. I replaced it with aluminum dog tag :)

What do you think about it, I know its a little bit high for scorps, but I enlarge the usable space on vertical side with that cork bark.
I want to add some live plants, whats your advice about the flowers, which one are good? Thanks

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What are the dimensions on that tank, AAA? It's really cool looking! And are you planning on putting some substrate in there before they arrive? They like to burrow when possible, but I think if you give them plenty of places to hide they'll be just fine. I'm not sure how live plants would do with them unless the plants are tolerant of scorpion abuse ;)

AAA

Arachnopeon
Hi, the tank size is 48cm long, 48cm high, 32cm depth.

Yes I want add a hill from substrat on the back side of the terrarium.
A little bit burrow that cork with a hole. But I was out of lignocel :(
So your advise is not add live plans? Right? I wanted them for better humidity in terrarium.
Maybe some kind of moss? Like a live sponge.

Last edited:

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi, the tank size is 48cm long, 48cm high, 32cm depth.

Yes I want add a hill from substrat on the back side of the terrarium.
A little bit burrow that cork with a hole. But I was out of lignocel :(
So your advise is not add live plans? Right? I wanted them for better humidity in terrarium.
Maybe some kind of moss? Like a live sponge.
That sounds great! I agree that the plants would bump up the humidity in the enclosure, but I'm not sure if their roots will be damaged by the scorps if they decide to burrow a bit more aggressively. You'd just have to keep an eye on the plants, but they may work. I believe you could grow bromeliads on the big piece of bark in there, which would likely put them out of reach of the scorps and decrease chances of damage. If nothing else, pothos plants can probably take just about any invert abuse, so you would probably be ok with that.

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
Heres my A. australis setup. Bottom layer is a 1.5 inch layer of a 10/10/80% mix of peat moss, river clay, and fine sand, while the thin top layer is pure fine sand. The scorp lives under the flat rock on the left. I fattened him (or her, I have yet to get a molt) up and he's been under there for about a month now. I have no idea why he hasn't molted yet as I've seen him out a couple times at night and he's still just as fat and refusing prey. I think he's around 5i. 20190715_195925.jpg