scorpion book

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
while reading the book report forum i noticed a book called scorpions by manny rubio skinheaddave gave thumbs upto it im not claiming to be an expert but something caught my eye on page 44, its worded the taxa listed in potentially life-threatening species are considered to be harmless or moderately venomous.their venom most likely will not cause death i adult humans this list contains a.australis, p.transvaalicus then it goes on tothe taxa listed in relatively harmless species are considered to be potentially dangerous or very danderous and capable of causing human deaths from the toxicity of their venom the species listed like p. imperator , h.spinifer so that is my only pit fall with this book it could easily mislead a novice

fatbloke

:? :? :?

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Yeah it looks like the reversed the titles of those two paragraphs.

But hopefully the Chart headings and the more detailed discussions about several of the species will make total novices realize the typo.

Other than that Rubios book is the best beginner-intermediate book on keeping and raising scorpions. There are not many mistakes...though the one you pointed out is important to note.

John
];')

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most of the mistakes seem to be typos, hopfully they'll fix em in future editions. For eample, the caption under the photo in the lower right hand corner on page 17 identifies the scorpion as L. quinquestriatus when it's clearly Androctonus. Also on page 76 there's a pic comparing male and female flat rock scorpions, but the ID's are switched.

Wade

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I should add that the charts in the middle should be taken with a grain of salt. That being said, this is still the best book out there IMHO. It covers areas of scorpion care that other books either gloss over or just plain ignore. It gives any scorpion hobbyist a good point to jump off from.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
I just saw a new copy of Rubios book this weekend and the error that fatbloke pointed out has been corrected.

John
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Good to hear. Do you know if the others have also been corrected? How recent is the reprint?

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Not sure of the recentness of the reprint and I only checked that one in particular which I consider by far the potentially dangerous mistake. The place I go to said they had just gotten that order in and had a hard time getting it bec it is so in demand and had to wait for backorders.

John
];')

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i did actually e-mail the company regarding this dangerous mistake but got nothing back so far

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by fatbloke
i did actually e-mail the company regarding this dangerous mistake but got nothing back so far
Manny is a member of one of the yahoo scorpion groups.
Ed