Scorpio maurus experiences

blueheat

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm currently writing an article on the captive care of Scorpio maurus, and I'd like it to be the most complete piece of work on the care of this species. If anyone has any useful info, tips, experiences, etc with this species then please let me know; you will of course be acknowledged in the article. Thanks in advance!

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Merely stating what others on the board have said as I don't have any experience with them myself.

Lives aprox. 1 year in captivity with no to little water provided.
Lives aprox. 2 years in captivity with occasional misting and or water bowl.
Most Scorpio maurus in the scorpion trade are WC adults as it seems the young are difficult to raise in captivity.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a female S.m. palmatus for a few months. Like Piter said the humidity is a serious issue in keeping this species. You should keep them at 60% at least. My enclosure is furnished like this: a 3/4 inch layer of medium size gravel, 4 inches of desert sand on the gravel. I have a piece of aquariumtube that reaches the bottom, I poor a little water in it every week so the water travels through the gravel into the sand. The scorpion can dig if it needs moisture and dig further if it needs more moisture. On the surface of the substrate are pieces of bark (covering the opening of the pre-dugburrow)and I put some humus in the corners on one half of the enclosure, I mist this once a week to increase humidity.

I dug her a burrow in an 40 degree(or something or less)angle down, this works really great, because they adopt the burrow quickly and modify it to their needs (she dug a bigger room at the end of the tunnel)...

Altough these scorps are known for their agressive disposition, I never witnessed any agression from my specimen, while it's previous owner did.
My guess is that it shows no agression, because if startled, it flees in its burrow. The pervious owner used corkbark solely as retreats. I never even saw it in a offensive or defensive position for that matter.

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Michiel said:
I have a female S.m. palmatus for a few months. Like Piter said the humidity is a serious issue in keeping this species. You should keep them at 60% at least. My enclosure is furnished like this: a 3/4 inch layer of medium size gravel, 4 inches of desert sand on the gravel. I have a piece of aquariumtube that reaches the bottom, I poor a little water in it every week so the water travels through the gravel into the sand. The scorpion can dig if it needs moisture and dig further if it needs more moisture. On the surface of the substrate are pieces of bark (covering the opening of the pre-dugburrow)and I put some humus in the corners on one half of the enclosure, I mist this once a week to increase humidity.

I dug her a burrow in an 40 degree(or something or less)angle down, this works really great, because they adopt the burrow quickly and modify it to their needs (she dug a bigger room at the end of the tunnel)...

Altough these scorps are known for their agressive disposition, I never witnessed any agression from my specimen, while it's previous owner did.
My guess is that it shows no agression, because if startled, it flees in its burrow. The pervious owner used corkbark solely as retreats. I never even saw it in a offensive or defensive position for that matter.
Hi Michiel,

palmatus is a desert species of scorpio and does not need much humidity or water. :)

blueheat

Arachnopeon
Aviculariinae said:
Hi Michiel,

palmatus is a desert species of scorpio and does not need much humidity or water. :)
Actually, people used to think S. maurus should be kept like any typical desert scorp, but Michiel is right, this species seems to fare much better in a fairly humid enclosure.

Thanks for your detailed post Michiel, I may well use some of that information.

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
blueheat said:
Actually, people used to think S. maurus should be kept like any typical desert scorp, but Michiel is right, this species seems to fare much better in a fairly humid enclosure.

Thanks for your detailed post Michiel, I may well use some of that information.
I do believe that Michiel was talking about Scorpio.m.PALMATUS which is a species from the desert.:rolleyes:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey Avi,

That used to be my idea too.
The reason that we as keepers need to provide a more humid environment is that we cannot recreate the natural burrow of the animals. Desert species dig burrows of app. 1- 1,5 meters deep. Within the burrow are different levels of temperature and humidity, so in the wild, the animals can regulate their temperature and moistureneeds by moving up and down in the burrow as they please.....This is almost impossible to do. That is the reason that i.e.Hadrurus species are difficult to breed. Unless you want a 80" x 40"" x 40" terra in your house with a 2 inch scorp in it ;) ;), dig a very big burrow for it and moisten the bottom layer of substrate.

Cheers guys!
Hi blueheat, I'm very interested in your paper when you finished it. Especially if you know a way how to sex them! Now I only heard that females are more shiny???? If this is true??I don't know.....

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Michiel said:
Hey Avi,

That used to be my idea too.
Hi,
I don,t understand what you mean by this?

The impression i am getting is that all scorpio species are to be kept the same which of course is incorrect. I am not debating about the burrow but the effort of keeping a 60% humidity for palmatus in the enclosure is not necessary.

I keep palmatus on dried out packed sand with loose sand on top.

canadianscorp

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Actually I agree with Michiel. A slight bit of humidity seems to help this spp. Im not saying to create a mesic or tropical setup just a few more misting than a normal xeric spp. Without a bit of humidity in the low instars you will NEVER get this spp through a single instar.

cheers
steve

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know it is a desert species. I meant I used to think that it needs no extra humidity too, which is wrong IMO....

Like Canadian said, you don't to create a pool, but just a bit more humidity..
Thats why i put some (not a lot of) humus on top of the sand, so I can moisten it (wouldn't want any of that red desert sand sticking on my scorp. It can stick to your scorp if this is sand is moistened)

60% is not that high, a standard living room in A TEMPERATE climate (such as Holland) is around 50%

SOAD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
they really need some water. i lost a 2nd instar s.m.palmatus last month becouse of dehidratation(i'm not sure how to say this in english. is it right?). and it died only six days after i misted the enclosure for the last time.

blueheat

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies guys. To wade in on the palmatus debate, I also believe that some humidity is neccessary for the well-being of this species, preferrably in the burrow. As this is very difficult to replicate in captivity though, just a more humid area in the enclosure will probably suffice.

Michiel, unfortunately I can't really help you with the sexing of this species, it's quite difficult to do as I'm sure you know. I believe females have fewer pectines (about 7-11) compared to males. My article focuses on captive care, rather than breeding, mainly because this seems to be very difficult in captivity. I'm fairly sure humidity and size of burrows is crucial for the propagation of this species though.

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Michiel said:
I know it is a desert species. I meant I used to think that it needs no extra humidity too, which is wrong IMO....

Like Canadian said, you don't to create a pool, but just a bit more humidity..
Thats why i put some (not a lot of) humus on top of the sand, so I can moisten it (wouldn't want any of that red desert sand sticking on my scorp. It can stick to your scorp if this is sand is moistened)

60% is not that high, a standard living room in A TEMPERATE climate (such as Holland) is around 50%
I agree... S.maurus spp can be kept on very dry sand in a very dry tank, no problem, they will live very well... but young will never molt and gravid females will never give birth (a little bit like Hadrurus spp).
I keep all my S.maurus spp on dry sand but I humidify regularly (and all my females gave birth during a humid period).
S.maurus spp are desert species, but in the wild, humidity is always quite high in the bottom of their burrow, or under the stones.
Cheers,
Eric

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi all,

I guess the guy who caught these for me is telling me lies about the care of this species :rolleyes:

I have never bred this species nor do i breed any species of scorpion but i have had no problem with them molting at a dryer climate. Well if it works.....

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey Avi,

The catcher catches them in a dry, hot environment, so it is imaginable that he thinks they need a similar treatment in captivity. I don't know if he also breeds scorpions, but if not, a catcher is not a breeder thats why he probably has basic knowlegde'. So I guess he did not lie to you, but he gave you the wrong info, that is a significant difference.

Like Eric said, they need humidity when moulting or when young are born....

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,
Michiel said:
Hey Avi,

The catcher catches them in a dry, hot environment, so it is imaginable that he thinks they need a similar treatment in captivity. I don't know if he also breeds scorpions, but if not, a catcher is not a breeder thats why he probably has basic knowlegde'. So I guess he did not lie to you, but he gave you the wrong info, that is a significant difference.

Like Eric said, they need humidity when moulting or when young are born....
The Person who catches them is an experienced enthusiast and i trust his word,i have not had any problems with the methods he has told me,molting is not a problem but i cannot say about breeding...

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My palmatus is very agressive and rarely backs down, it will even run at the forceps when I'm not bothering him. Grumpy sod.