Scorp suggestions for a new guy?

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Hello,

So I want to get into scorps. I have never really kept scorps before. Experience is tarantulas only.

I am looking for something communal and something that won't kill a cat.

If not, I have seen Asian forest scorpions (the one's that replaced emps) for low prices, are they worth the 15 bucks?

Thank you so much for your input!

Stugy

Arachnolord
For communal scorpions you can try Centruroides (bark scorps) as I hear they are very communal. I'm not sure about killing a cat though :). I only have 2 scorpions anyways with one being a Heterometrus petersii. From my experience, Asian Forest scorpions are quite defensive and they like to burrow so they are more of a scorpion just to have since I hadn't seen mine once ever since she burrowed. They can be communal though. With all "communal" scorpions, they all must be well fed or they will eventually start eating each other :).

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dude, you have old world Ts and you're worried about a scorpion that can't climb glass killing your cat? I'd be more worried about the cat killing them.

The Heterometrus sp. Definitely worth the $15 and it won't cost a fortune to start a community, unlike your other options.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Dude, you have old world Ts and you're worried about a scorpion that can't climb glass killing your cat? I'd be more worried about the cat killing them.

The Heterometrus sp. Definitely worth the $15 and it won't cost a fortune to start a community, unlike your other options.
Heheheheh $15 is a fortune to me XD

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight

killing cat= not highly toxic

I will definitely have to pick one up then,

Thanks!

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Centruroides gracilis is a great choice. Heterometrus ssp are generally good starters but if you keep them in ideal conditions they end up as pet holes.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Hadogenes species are really amazing as starters. They can get massively long, have a VERY unique look to them, and mine is almost always out during the day. They also couldn't kill anything bigger than a big rat without an allergic reaction as well. They are as easy as OBT's when it comes to husbandry, dry sub and water dish. Love the genus :D

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@gypsy cola Hadrurus arizonensis. Not communal but awesome specimens and mild venom despite their highly defensive nature.

Pipa

Arachnoknight
in a matter of time , you'll be selling off all your T's and end up with a large collection of scorpions.. BEWARE

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@gypsy cola I don't know if what @Pipa said will ring true but what I do know is it is awesome to have the same size scorpions collection as your tarantula collection. Take it from me! lol.

Check out Hadrurus arizonensis pallidus. They are also pretty cool. Care is the same as regular H. arizonensis.

ScorpFreakKing666

Arachnopeon
H. Arizonensis is by far one of my all time favorite species, highly active and always out doing something, super fun scorps. Although not overall communal , I have kept some communally in the past successfully with a large terrarium , many hides and kept them very well feed, I observed very little trouble between them, but at times they did beef each other. If you do change your mind from going communal getting a h. Arizonensis would by far be your best bet in my opinion for getting into the wonderful world of scorpions.

Cheers

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
@gypsy cola I don't know if what @Pipa said will ring true but what I do know is it is awesome to have the same size scorpions collection as your tarantula collection. Take it from me! lol.

Check out Hadrurus arizonensis pallidus. They are also pretty cool. Care is the same as regular H. arizonensis.
I want a communal but.... WOW... I guess technically there isn't a reason I can't have both. I really want this scorp now.

You people should feel ashamed of yourself! When I always feel my collection is complete there is always something on this board that makes me want more.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I want a communal but.... WOW... I guess technically there isn't a reason I can't have both. I really want this scorp now.

You people should feel ashamed of yourself! When I always feel my collection is complete there is always something on this board that makes me want more.
If you feel that way don't even look at the "hotter" scorpions. I will never feel complete til I have breeding pairs of P. transvaalicus, P. liosoma and A. bicolor.

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@gypsy cola One of the best communal species is Centruroides sculpturatus. You are not a newbie to invertebrates and this species is the hottest in the USA but still not "lethal" excepting allergies and what not. If you are used to Pterinochilus murinus and such which are much more risky given their ability to climb glass then I see no reason for you not to get a colony of C. sculpturatus.

H. arizonensis sp. are awesome in their own right but require a much different set up and of course are not communal.

Get both. Get a set up with a really nice specimen of H. arizonensis for a cool display and then get another cool display for a colony of a dozen C. sculpturatus. They are two totally different set ups given one is terrestrial while the other is arboreal.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are many species that could work well. Hadrurus, Heterometrus, and Centruroides have already been mentioned. I'd also recommend C. sculpturatus or C. gracilis.

There are also Rhopalurus (i.e. R. junceus or R. garridoi), Babycurus, Hottentotta, and many U.S. native genera like Vaejovis, Paruroctonus, etc. that are all possibilities. Perhaps a few more options to make a decision more difficult...