Scorp not eating

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My H. arizonensis hasn't eaten since I moved it into its cage over a week ago, Should I keep offering it food or just leave it alone for a few more days?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
How are you offering food? I find that a lot of my scorps will not eat in my presence and/or during the day. Just leave some prey items for it to eat and post again in a couple weeks if nothing has come of it.

Cheers,
Dave

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been putting food in late at night and leaving it overnight, then fishing it out the next day when it hasn't been eaten.

The scorpion is active and looks healthy, maybe it just doesn't like what's on the menu. :D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine have always seemed to fast for much of the year, the scorpion equivelant of G. rosea.

Wade

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good to know. I had an H. arizonensis several years ago and that one never seemed to stop eating, that's why I was worried about this one.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Also, don't forget that a 2 month cooler(10-15F) in the winter does them good too. Douring this time they will eat much less. Is it possible that where you are keeping them has been a little cooler lately?...If that is so they will eat less.

John
];')

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It finally ate. I threw in a waxworm and the scorp went for it. I'll try another meal in a few nights.

It's in my spider room, which stays around 85-88 degrees during the day and around 78-80 degrees at night. Maybe I should move it to a cooler room in the house for a few months?

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Yeah...that might be good....I usually reduce the wattage of the heating bulb I use and the temp goes down about 10 degrees.

My collection is in a closet that has no door but I put a clear shower curtain in the opening. Right now even when its cold outside...4x60W lightbulbs keep the closet at a good temp. I may turn the light off for the H.arizonensis tank when I do my cool period. I'll have to measure the temps to see.

John

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I heat the entire room with a thermostatically-controlled ceramic heater. The whole set up cost about $30 and it seems to work pretty well.

After Thorn has had a few more meals, I'll move it to my bedroom, which is more of a comfortable room temperature than my office (about 68-78 degrees)

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
galeo,

what is the wattage on that ceramic heater..and where did you buy it?

I try to save as much elec and therefore $$ as possible...my 4x60w lightbulbs use 240 w...

Does the heater heat the whole room?...does the thing get too hot to put near some things?

John

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The heater doesn't have a wattage label on it, but it's the smallest of the Holmes brand ceramic heaters. I think I paid $20 for it at Walgreen's I have it plugged into one of the cheap plug-in thermostats from the feed store and keep it set around 85 degrees, with a slight drop at night. I think it would also work pretty well plugged into one of those appliance timers once you figured out your heating needs for the room. I don't think it's expensive to run since I haven't noticed any significant increases in our electric bill since I've been using it.

It does heat the whole room, with cooler spots on the far wall. It's a floor model so none of my pets are anywhere close to it. It keeps the ambient air temperature in the mid-80s.

I put heat-loving species on higher shelves and more temperate species on lower shelves, which creates a heat gradient of a few degrees.

Hope that helps.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
That makes scorpions "top shelf material." I don't know why that popped into my head. ;)

I also use a space heater for my room. It is situated on top of my monitor lizard's enclosure and ducted into the enclosure. That keeps my monitor lizard's base temperature pretty high and the rest of the room at reasonable temperatures.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Cool...or should I say HOT...thanks guys

John
];')

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Kugellager, if your worried about electricity, as i am, buy an oil filled radiant heater. Mine cost $70 canadian, and heats the room very very well and is thermostatically controlled. It heats the oil inside, then can turn off for a long time because it retains heat so well it continues radiating when its turned off for a long time. Also they ate 100% safe of starting a fire just about, and make absolutely ZERO noise.
If you want a picture of mine just ask.

Mark

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Bjorgly,

Haven't considered one of those...though I may just do that...

John
];')

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Emperor not eating

I`v got 4 Emperors about 1 inch! They havent been eating for about 14 days :? There`s a little criket in there with them now, but they are not interested... Should i take that one out, or just leave it for them to eat if they want? It`s been in there for four/ five days now...

The temp is around 26- 27 c (Dont know F, maby around 80- 81?) during the day, a bit cooler in the night. They also have water, and i mist about twise a week....

What could be wrong? Is this normal or what?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
To start with, your humidity probably isn't high enough.

Secondly, young emps are not particularily good at feeding themselves. You might consider crushing some crickets and providing them that way. The emps should find and feed on the carcases.

Thirdly, 14 days isn't too much to be worried about -- especialy since you are keeping them relatively cool compared to many keepers.

Cheers,
Dave