Scolopocryptops gracilis mating

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The one I've had for about 9 months is a very good eater, these are very common around here, and saw one suggestion on the internet that a member of this genus might be communal, so I collected a couple to see if they'd get along well. (Testing easy communality, not tenuous communality.)

I thought at first it was just cannibalism, but the chewed didn't seem to be in a bad state after at least 7 hours. Also, it looks a lot like mating videos 3 and 4, in this post.

Anyone have any details about what's going on, or suggestions?

edit: 10 hours later, the "male" still has the extrusion, and the "female" is still grabbing at it (sometimes having to pursue "him"). :confused:

edit 2: 2 hours later, the male dropped the spermatophore thing and the female completely stopped showing interest in him... or his deposit.

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
The one I've had for about 9 months is a very good eater, these are very common around here, and saw one suggestion on the internet that a member of this genus might be communal, so I collected a couple to see if they'd get along well. (Testing easy communality, not tenuous communality.)

I thought at first it was just cannibalism, but the chewed didn't seem to be in a bad state after at least 7 hours. Also, it looks a lot like mating videos 3 and 4, in this post.

Anyone have any details about what's going on, or suggestions?

edit: 10 hours later, the "male" still has the extrusion, and the "female" is still grabbing at it (sometimes having to pursue "him"). :confused:

edit 2: 2 hours later, the male dropped the spermatophore thing and the female completely stopped showing interest in him... or his deposit.
That's pretty neat, Pulk. I don't recall the source, but remember reading that some centipedes may ingest the spermatophore as opposed to taking it up into the genitalia directly?