Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I am about to order Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans and had a hide and water question.....
Would it be better to give him water crystals rather than water when he is a baby?

should the size of the hide be big enough for him to strech out or big enough for him just balled up in .. This is my first pede and want to get it right.

I have him a 10 gal tank and using cocofiber for substrate

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Your set up sounds good so far, just make sure the tank is secure enough for the centipede. May I suggest a gallon-sized jar?

As for water, just provide a small cap for water. Water crystals are a big no-no with any invert but crickets.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I highly highly HIGHLYYYYYY recommend that you use a deli cup to raise him up a bit. it will make it a lot easier to feed and water him. for water, give him a small bottle cap with water in it, if the coconut fiber get in there, then it's fine. if dead prey items get in there, then clean it out. keep the substrate moist.

good luck :)

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
You'll want damp substrate especially with a small one and with damp substrate a water dish will never be visited.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
as far as a hide goes, mine never uses it. it just burrows and comes out at night and early morning. if you do use a hide, however, make it small enough that the pede feels secure. they will very rarely sit spread out, especially when they are hiding. your best bet is to give it about an inch of moist sub and a hide that is about half as long- two thirds as long as the pede (not including terms or antennae). have fun with your new pede, they look fake.

--Dan

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
in addition to ll of the other information that everyone gave, i have one more recommendation. even if you dont use a water dish permanently, offer one when you first get it out of the packing. both of the specimens i have gotten were very thirsty and have spent about 2 minutes with their heads in the water right after i transferred them. beyond that, i have never seen them drink. just a thought!;)

--Dan

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
in addition to ll of the other information that everyone gave, i have one more recommendation. even if you dont use a water dish permanently, offer one when you first get it out of the packing. both of the specimens i have gotten were very thirsty and have spent about 2 minutes with their heads in the water right after i transferred them. beyond that, i have never seen them drink. just a thought!;)

--Dan
good thought :)

for a lot of pedes that i WC that look a bit sluggish i will put them in a tarantula style ICU for a day. it seems to help them out a good amount of the time, especially when i catch them in the drier seasons