Scolopendra Subspinipes and Cork Bark pieces (regarding mold).

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi guys,

I've been keeping my centipede in an enclosure that had two pieces of cork bark in with him. My eco-earth doesn't stay wet, but it does retain humidity quite well. The pieces of cork bark seem to develope a mold that grows in areas that would be facing the substrate. The centipede seems to enjoy burrowing under a certain piece of bark, but I know they are also burrowers as well. Do you think he'd have any stress related issues if I removed the cork bark and kept him in a tank that had nothing but his bedding for hiding source?

Any info would be great.

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Centipedes like to be pressed up against something solid. "Positively thigmotaxic" I think is the term. Doesn't have to be cork bark, could be something ceramic or otherwise non-moldy, but it should have something.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Centipedes like to be pressed up against something solid. "Positively thigmotaxic" I think is the term. Doesn't have to be cork bark, could be something ceramic or otherwise non-moldy, but it should have something.
Cool, thanks much for the info. I kind of figured that'd be the answer. My pede likes to dig, but he'd take a solid object over that anyday of the week. I went ahead and whipped down the cork bark (had to do this before), and it'll usually stay clean for about a week or a little less. I've yet to see anykinds of mold or fungus in the substrate itself so that's a plus.

Thanks for the info Max.

Last edited:

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah, very cool! Thanks Caco, I'll definitely have to look into that. I'm getting to the point of saying heck with the cork bark as well, it just molds way to darn easily. That's a shame though, as I love how it looks in the enclosures, so naturalistic.

Thanks again!