scolopendra subspinipes advice!?

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hello

I have kept tarantulas for about 12 years now, but never a scolopendra!

So therefore I want to aske some basic queastions about centipedes, since i recived my first scolopendra today, a large s. subspinipes de haani "yellow":

1. how aggressiv may they be, do they compare to some of the "nasty" asian tarantulas?

2. how humied does this species prefer, does it thrive in rainforests(80-90%)?

3. will it eat a lot, or will it eat "like" a tarantula?

(sorry if the english is nor perfect)

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First off congrats on your new addition! I think you'll love it!

Now to see if I can help you out.

1. I can tell you now that all of my Sc. subspinipes de haani would rather bite first, and ask later. They are very, very aggressive and when matching that with the speed they possess can lead to a painful experience if you're not giving your undivided attention.

2. All my de haanis and subspinipes subspinipes are kept at right around 70 -75% humidity, and I've never had any problems whatsoever. I add water to the substrate once a week by overflowing their water dishes. I have heard that they can be kept nearly dry as long as they've got full water dish in the setup with them. Though I'd never try that method.

3. My de haanis are eating machines! I feed them once a week and give them all 6 large crickets. I used to feed them 12 but they were getting a bit too fat for my likings. I don't think you'll have any issues in the eating department.

Hope that helped, and I hope you enjoy your beastie!

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
First off congrats on your new addition! I think you'll love it!

Now to see if I can help you out.

1. I can tell you now that all of my Sc. subspinipes de haani would rather bite first, and ask later. They are very, very aggressive and when matching that with the speed they possess can lead to a painful experience if you're not giving your undivided attention.

2. All my de haanis and subspinipes subspinipes are kept at right around 70 -75% humidity, and I've never had any problems whatsoever. I add water to the substrate once a week by overflowing their water dishes. I have heard that they can be kept nearly dry as long as they've got full water dish in the setup with them. Though I'd never try that method.

3. My de haanis are eating machines! I feed them once a week and give them all 6 large crickets. I used to feed them 12 but they were getting a bit too fat for my likings. I don't think you'll have any issues in the eating department.

Hope that helped, and I hope you enjoy your beastie!
thank you very much:)

But do you know the lifespan of this species?

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You're welcome :)

The life spans I've usually had given to me were between 7 and 10 years. Though I'm not positive. But that's what I've been told/read.

Last edited:

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok:)

But does anyone know if centipedes use their eyes more then tarantulas and scorpions?

I also feed my scolopendra for the first time today, and I was suprised to discover how fast it consumed two crickets, specially compared to tarantulas!

Arachnoboy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
But does anyone know if centipedes use their eyes more then tarantulas and scorpions?
I'm pretty sure they use their eyes to the same extend as tarantulas and scorpions,which isn't that much. As far as I know the eyes is only useful for detecting light,and not for seeing things,they use their antenna to "see/smell".