Scolopendra references

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You're right, Greg, it's not really easy to use... I tried saving some pages on my computer but all that saved was a dot each time. Wow, i really wish i could have it on paper so i could highline the parts that interest me and take side notes and everything...

Thanks for post in the link, Greg :)!!!!

phil.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
That site seems to be down (for good?). There is only a single S. heros species (subspecies are below that) and some taxonomists don't recognize any subspecies for any centipedes but often the same taxonomists recognize subspecies in millipedes. Go figure.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
^from the homepage:

"Warning: Chilobase is currently being updated.
In particular, geographic distribution data are incomplete for some species. "

It seems to be hit or miss lately...

krabbelspinne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, there wasn`t any subspecies of Scolopendra heros ever. Even Attems wrote 1930 in his book about three different variations of heros, but never treated them as subspecies...

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Well, there wasn`t any subspecies of Scolopendra heros ever. Even Attems wrote 1930 in his book about three different variations of heros, but never treated them as subspecies...
Wood 1861 originally described S. castaneiceps as a species though he did downgrade it four years later. Are you trying to claim that various modern subspecies Attems listed as varieties transferred to subspecies following taxonomic rules aren't (that would be very interesting in the diplopod arena)? Are you considering the late 1990s work that elevated them to subspecies didn't though it followed ICZN rules and is cited in taxonomic works? You can easily argue it's wrong but not that it doesn't exist.

krabbelspinne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi EandA,

you say it is existing but it isn`t valid. What isn`t valid is not existing in the taxonomy. Also, here in the forum are photos of an offspring between two variations. That means that it should be the same species as we know that there are also no geographic borders...

Why do you want to handle them as subspecies? Because the colours are different?

chris

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Hi EandA,

you say it is existing but it isn`t valid. What isn`t valid is not existing in the taxonomy. Also, here in the forum are photos of an offspring between two variations. That means that it should be the same species as we know that there are also no geographic borders...

Why do you want to handle them as subspecies? Because the colours are different?

chris
Valid also refers to the most recent publication (though I'm not sure how the specific publication guidlines have changed) so you may be wrong there. There is a pulication from a few years back with the geographic borders listed. You don't find it interesting the captive heros hybrids don't look like any specimen ever collected? Dynastes tityus and Dynastes granti, horse and donkey, and many other species can be artificially crossed, just look at plants. I have a few accidental goldfish x koi hybrids in my fish tank and there are some accidental Anadenobolus modestior x Anadenbolus arboreus hybrids a breeder has had here recently and there are countless examples that haven't invalidated species (a subspecies is generally supposed to be able to cross with the nominate).

---------- Post added 10-05-2012 at 08:53 AM ----------

What about this quote? Names published before 1992 in the rank of variety are taken to be names of subspecies. Ernst Mayr, Populations, Species, and Evolution: An Abridgment of Animal Species and Evolution.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
subspecies? go wash your mouth with soap. subsecies are soooooooo 2005 :)

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I found this post and accompanying articles to read to be very helpful and interest. Thank you.

Siphodemos

Arachnopeon
Could someone add some recent arcticles to this thread? Most of them are invalid or couldn't be found on internet.

Abdulkarim Elnaas

Arachnosquire
CHILOBASE 2.0: http://chilobase.biologia.unipd.it/pages/about-chilopoda
I also found these very helpful in identification, but I'm not sure if they have been linked (my apologies if they have). I just searched the names of the articles and found these PDF versions:
The Scolopendromorph Centipedes of Tunisia (2008)
https://zookeys.pensoft.net/lib/ajax_srv/generate_pdf.php?document_id=1952&readonly_preview=1
Lewis-2010 Old World Scolopendra Key and List
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...World+with+a+reappraisal+of+Arthrorhabdus.pdf

EDIT: Also, whenever I don't understand an anatomical term, I refer to this:
http://lanwebs.lander.edu/faculty/rsfox/invertebrates/scutigera.html