Scolopendra polymorpha ???

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I recently got one of these Tiger centipedes, well, actually my first other than a couple wild ones I've caught outside here in TN, and was wondering about them. Anyone have some species specific type of notes they would like to share or will the caresheets for any North American desert centipede do? It looks to be a young one close to 3", do they molt often when young? Do they need to have calcium enhanced crickets? TIA for any hints :D

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mendi
I recently got one of these Tiger centipedes, well, actually my first other than a couple wild ones I've caught outside here in TN, and was wondering about them. Anyone have some species specific type of notes they would like to share or will the caresheets for any North American desert centipede do? It looks to be a young one close to 3", do they molt often when young? Do they need to have calcium enhanced crickets? TIA for any hints :D
Hi Mendi, I have a 5" or so polymorpha, I keep it in a large kritter keeper with 25% sand and 75% forest bed as substrate. the substrate is kept visibly moist, never allowed to dry out and there is a small 3/4 oz. deli cup kept full of water at all times. I feed it 3 or 4 crickets weekly. temps are mid 70's to mid 80's. they are secretive and rarely seen outside of their burrows. mine has burrowed heavily all over the enclosure. when it is feeding time it goes beserk trying to catch the cricket. they, as all centipedes are escape artists! I have the large kritter keeper inside a bare 66 quart sterilite bin so if it gets out of the kritter keeper it will be contained in the sterilite bin. I recommend "the Giant Centipedes of the Genus Scolopendra" by Carl Sandefer, some of the online invert dealers carry it. I don't dust any of the crickets destined for food for any of my inverts. thats my two cents worth. hope it helps some.
Ed