Scolopendra morsitans super docile

UltimateDracoMeteor

Arachnosquire
How did you manage to get it so accustomed to handling? Is it just generally a docile pede or did you do something to make it like that?

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Super cool and super brave. Aren't they known for being aggressive ?

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
How did you manage to get it so accustomed to handling? Is it just generally a docile pede or did you do something to make it like that?
It was initially extremely jumpy. It certainly wasn't aggressive in the same way as Dehaani, but it was scared of practically everything, and would go berserk if I so much as breathed on it. What I did was repetitive gentle hand interactions (not full on handling) where I'd let the pede walk in alternation between my own hand and another surface such as its substrate. It calmed down after about five sessions.

Super cool and super brave. Aren't they known for being aggressive ?
Morsitans is more skittish than aggressive, but on the other hand, I've had the same amount of success with Ethmostigmus rubripes, and they can be as aggressive as Dehaani in some cases (though thankfully less venomous). You just have to be cautious, but calm at the same time. They always get to the point when they simply won't bite under practically any circumstances.

Telsaro

Arachnopeon
Amazing work! I have heard of a few people successfully "taming" their centipedes. I think that mainly you need to let it know your scent and desensitize it to touch. Most aggression is just fear with centipedes. I still don't think I'll handle my Scolopendra subspinipes any time soon!

Bug Boy Wonder

Arachnopeon
Oh man!! I used to have one of these WC in Flagstaff AZ. After a year of care I gave it to a local school for a class since I was going to be traveling for 6mo this was back in 2009. Really fun to watch eat. Never handled like that, just lightly stroked. They have such wonderful colors.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
This is actually pretty ordinary looking for an Aussie morsitans. Some of the other variants of this species we have down here are stunning.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Oh man!! I used to have one of these WC in Flagstaff AZ. After a year of care I gave it to a local school for a class since I was going to be traveling for 6mo this was back in 2009. Really fun to watch eat. Never handled like that, just lightly stroked. They have such wonderful colors.
In addition, if you want to see what Australia has to offer in terms of morsitans variants, and pedes in general, check out this link. I'm trying to get some pedes off this guy, but I feel as though my PMs are stuffing up, so he may not even be seeing my messages.
nvolpewild.com/centipedes