Scolopendra heros castaniceps, a fresh molt.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My big girl molted, probably last week. Not a trace of the molt.

Attachments

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
John,

How thick is she? As she looks pretty thick at that angle, but I'm not sure if that's just the way the picture was taken. Mine are about half the thickness of my S. subspinipes.

Scott

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Whowww,

Scolopendra heros castaniceps, are really my favorites, to bad, i can't find any here in Europe, really good looking girl :D

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow!
Beautiful pede. Exactly how big is your "big girl"? She looks very impressive.

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I thought she was big, but I recently received something that would make a snack outta her. A quarter is about 1 inch.
john

Attachments

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My gods!!!!!!!!!!! That's a huge Texas Red Head!!!!!!!!! I didn't know that they even got that big.....very impressive! Hope it does well for you, that's one really nice animal.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those are stunning specimens. The more I see these the more it makes me wanna get one or two of these inverts.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by LaRiz
I thought she was big, but I recently received something that would make a snack outta her. A quarter is about 1 inch.
john
Awesome pede, John! You got my big heros beat by a sight...for now! MUAHAhahaha! ;)
Your heros is almost as wide as the friggin' quarter! Mine's a bit narrow still but I'm workin' on it.

Atrax

Attachments

Last edited:

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
Awesome pede, John! You got my big heros beat by a sight...for now! MUAHAhahaha! ;)
Your heros is almost as wide as the friggin' quarter! Mine's a bit narrow still but I'm workin' on it.

Atra

Refering to youre picture,

The one with the quarter.........well if you want your cent to grow bigger you must supply it with an optimal environment.What i`m getting at is compare the substrate in your picture to the substrate in the big girls picture. I beleive the big girls humitity levels are much more increased than yours . Therefore induceing heavier feeding and optimal growth.x
Im now expert but this is my two cents.
Mat

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Mat. Actually, I have several pedes much larger than the heros in my pic.
As far as my substrate, I choose to provide surface moisture more frequently as opposed to damp substrate. I mist daily to every other day and the evaporation of the surface moisture provides plenty of humidity without so much risk for mold or parasites. I am probably a little paranoid but with over 60 inverts in my bug room a parasite breakout would be disastrous. It's worth the trouble (to me) to just mist more frequently. For probably 12-15 hours of the day, the substrate in my pedes enclosures does resemble Lariz's pic.
I think the reason Lariz's pede is bigger is likely due to the fact that it is probably older than mine. I acquired my heros at about 5" and in less than a year it has gained at least 2". I don't think it's growth is being hindered at all. Besides providing it with an appropriate ambient humidity level I also alternate crix, anoles and beef heart for food.

Atrax

Last edited:

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by gongyles
Whowww,

Scolopendra heros castaniceps, are really my favorites, to bad, i can't find any here in Europe, really good looking girl :D
not that difficult my friend.. i think there are plenty of them available in Germany and i'm sure they can sent them to belgium when the weather permites;)
at reasonable prices too!!!