Scolopendra Hardwickei Pedeling

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone, I just recently purchased a baby Scolopendra Hardwickei and I'm expecting its arrival sometime next month. If anyone can provide information about caring for a pedeling it'll be greatly appreciated. I'm mostly concerned about the humidity levels; I've done some research online and I've found out that either too much, or a lack of humidity can cause fatalities.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hey everyone, I just recently purchased a baby Scolopendra Hardwickei and I'm expecting its arrival sometime next month. If anyone can provide information about caring for a pedeling it'll be greatly appreciated. I'm mostly concerned about the humidity levels; I've done some research online and I've found out that either too much, or a lack of humidity can cause fatalities.
I've been keeping mine quite humid and it's shed twice and seems to be doing great.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I have bought 5 and raised 4 of those successfully. Sold three and kept the larger.

What I did was basically keep the box humid but not wet. One side where the bottle cap with water sits, I also had moss that was moist at all times. The other side of the box would be "dryer" compared to the moss. If you feed crickets, remove uneaten ones because the only one I lost was killed by a cricket during a molt cycle.

Great species to work with.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Another school of thought says that excessive moisture will kill them, and I've heard this from 2 breeders. I think that if it's a small low ventilation container (i.e. plastic tub with holes) you want the substrate pretty dry, but a decent sized water dish to provide air humidity. If it's a well vented container, you can get away with wetter substrate (at least the bottom, the top should be drier) but also need to make sure the pede can access the moist spots under ground as these don't all burrow.

Also, over-feeding is another cause of early death. Keep it looking like a centipede, not like a sausage.

The guy you're getting yours from posted a care sheet in his facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710119005930389/ just need to scroll down a bit.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Also, I personally avoid moss lying around on the surface. You just need one bit to get into the water bowl and it will suck all the water out!

It is great for keeping moisture, and for moving small centipedes (chuck a clump in, make pede climb on it, lift clump with forceps, job done) but I've removed it from the surface in all my tubs, and only use it in underground moist spots.

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
Thanks guys, I sincerely appreciate the useful advise. Hopefully I'll be able to post a few pictures when it arrives.

Nanotrev

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Where is everyone finding these? lol I've been looking for them for ages.