Scolopendra dehaani - few questions

MapleMatt

Arachnosquire
By the start of a trlhread I need to edit...its S. Subspinipes, Vietnam. Hi guys, I have this specie on the way and would like to ask about size of enclosure, substrate to use(is moss ok?) Also how to equip her ubication to make her feel comfortable and healthy. Also would like to know what to care well for and do/dont do with this particular specie. I wasnt able to get any other centipede right now, so I picked dehaani. Previously had venomous animals, but would like to hear what should I avoid and how to manipul a te properly when it comes for example rehousing. Excuse my English please, any kind of oppinion, help, experience shared is highly appreciated. Nice day to everyone:)

Last edited:

TheHouseof21pairs

Arachnosquire
First of everything. If this is your first scolopendra you got the wrong one to be starting off with. They’re are very big, very fast, aggressive toward food, very wary and always defensive and their venom is cruel. Second, you’re getting a Dehaani (not subspinipes)Vietnamese yellow legs and haven’t a bleeding clue on how to care about it?? You should be digging into the infos with the search button... plenty of infos..plenty.
Escape prof acrylic tub. 3/4 inches of slightly moist substrate. A good sized cork bark to hide. Some damp sphagnum moss for extra hiding and a nice size water dish. 12” tongues. A 10” art paint brush and you should be good t go. Be extra careful.
Take care

MapleMatt

Arachnosquire
First of everything. If this is your first scolopendra you got the wrong one to be starting off with. They’re are very big, very fast, aggressive toward food, very wary and always defensive and their venom is cruel. Second, you’re getting a Dehaani (not subspinipes)Vietnamese yellow legs and haven’t a bleeding clue on how to care about it?? You should be digging into the infos with the search button... plenty of infos..plenty.
Escape prof acrylic tub. 3/4 inches of slightly moist substrate. A good sized cork bark to hide. Some damp sphagnum moss for extra hiding and a nice size water dish. 12” tongues. A 10” art paint brush and you should be good t go. Be extra careful.
Take care
Hi and thank you very much, I read the book about centipedes but only basic info, so decided to ask here. I know the species from Asia are dangerous, but I keep a lot of venomous spiders and Im allways extremely careful and treat the animals with big respect, but I fully get what you are saying. Unfortunately now especially because of covid the imports are very limited, so is offer and the centipedes that were recommended to me are hard to obtain even when situation is normal. The only available specie on our market was the Vietnamese, and I wished to keep one for a long time. It was bit of my laziness, to appologize myself...I will definitely search the forum in and out. Kindly thanks a lot for useful informations and wish you nice rest of the evening!

MapleMatt

Arachnosquire
At the end, I decided to follow your advice. I went for giant african millipede, though my desire for centipede was big. I decided not to do anything foolish or eventuelly ruin hobby to others, more experienced keepers. Nice day to everyone(-:

MapleMatt

Arachnosquire
And in case of buying a centipede soon, i will look for beginner species, even if I had to import from foreign country