Scolopendra alterans or subspinipes?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I plan to get one of these species this weekend,but I can't decide which?which species is gonna be more out and visible?and which grows faster?thanks for all the help?

super-pede

Arachnobaron
go with a subspinipes.they are more active and IMO they are beautiful.alternans tend to be a bit more calm then subspinipes but they always hide.My subspinipes usually sit on top of the substrate so you can see them regularly.alternans grows a bit quicker but aren't as big as a standard subspinipes

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought alternans got waaay bigger than subspinipes subspinipes.
Never kept an alternans, but if you want a flighty, angry pede, go with the subspinipes...
Mine burrowed very readily too.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd have to go with an S. alternans if I had to decide between the two. The S. alternans get massive, there have been some pics here on the board of adults that were roughly 10" give or take. SZAPPAN has a massive one that was actually mislabeled as an S. gigantea.

To me the alternans are a lot nicer to look at as well. I like the banded appearance that they have much better then the more available S. subspinipes and S. s. de haani that are on the market nowadays.

Sure they might be burrowers, but in my experience even my S. subspinipes spent 99% of the time out of sight if given the opportunity.

S. alternans gets my vote. Just make sure it's the "Haiti" variant in my opinion.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i'd probably be getting the alterans from tarantula inc.they call it like the red giant centi or something like that.is that a different variant than the hatian centi?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is the alterans that tarantulas Inc. Have for sale the Haiti version?

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The one pictured isn't the Haitian Giant. Looks like the Florida S. alternans. Never kept that variety of alternans, so I don't know off hand how large they end up being.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Here is a link to what I think is being sold as Florida Keys Giant Centipede.
Looks like a honey color body with read head, I cant see the tail coloring
very well.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/89343

I live about 200+ miles north of Key Largo and 4 blocks from the Atlantic
Ocean. I'd love to find one of these in my yard.:D

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I went with the subspinipes.it's awesome.it already ate 1 of the dubias I got.I got 100 large-adult dubia for $10 at the show!I also came home with a huge s.polymorpha for $10!

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sounds like a couple of great scores at your show (which one?)
Can we expect some pix in a couple of days? :clap:

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Anyone got cate tops forthe subspinipes?I have it set up in a tub more than twice it's length,longer than it is,and taller than it is long.I have about an inch and a half of coco fibre,and a corkbark hide that it took to instantly and loves.anything I'm missing?