Scolo. heros castaniceps...check it out...

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Last year my Scolopendra heros castaniceps, around spring-time, laid some eggs. The eggs hatched and the babies developed normally. Some people here may still have those babies.
Anyways, she molted in March of this year. Didn't eat very much afterwards, some crickets, one pink mouse.
Today, I figured I'd give her a pink. So I lift up her buried cork slab, and toss in the pink. As soon as it hit ground she was on it. She spun her head around and then I noticed them. Eggs. It happened so fast, I didn't get a chance to hold onto the mouse. So I grab the pink. A tug-o-war ensues. She really wouldn't let go. I actually had to pin her down with the edge of the cork.
I figured that I better get the pink outta there, 'cause once she starts eating she may not want to stop and continue on with her eggs. They may not be fertile (post molt), but then again, how much do we really know about centipede reproduction.
Well it's 7 hrs. later, and she's still on her back with eggs intact.
john

Last edited:

luvsnail

Arachnopeon
whoa, ok i need a little clarification...any eggs they lay post-molt are infertile? i'm still very new with 'pedes and i can't find much hard info...this is definitely news to me...so please excuse much if this is one of those bonehead newbie questions...

thanks,
nate

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey John,
Did you re-breed her again or is it possible to lay more eggs without breeding again? Or can they retain some of the sperm from the male and have more than one batch of babies from it?
Becky

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Becky,
This is what I'm trying to find out. Last year around this time she laid the eggs. Which turned out to be a total success. She molted in March.
If these eggs do hatch, we'll know for sure that centipedes, at least this species, does not cast off sperm with a molt but keep it somehow internally. We'll know in 30 days, unless she eats them. At this time though, she's still caring for them.
john

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm anxious to know John. If you recall my S. s. dehaani had a brood (which she ate :() after molting in my care. Keep us posted.

See ya.

Atrax

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it will be very interesting to see what pans out!!!

serious pede research is going on here ;)

my question is this:
from what i can read/hear/tell, its very difficult to sex pede. If so, how hard is it to breed? In other words, how do you know which ones are which sex?

I've heard of many many breeding mishaps (2 males together / 2 females together... by accident of course)...

any help?
thanks!
peace
dave