Scientific Names - Proper Binomial Nomenclature

Pmuticus704

Arachnopeon
Sadly there aren't nearly enough scientists primarily studying tarantulas or the funding to support the studies. To be fair there are a number of things in the world that understandably take precedence over tarantula taxonomy. Still sad though.
Sana,
You hit it out of the park. However, we have unknown wild caught species which we could get collection info on and we have the live specimens for taxonomic work. I do know that in this day and age a lot of countries want their scientist to have the claim to fame so I am not sure how that works into the equation. I am surprised that these spiders are not named prior to entering the pet trade.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Eh eh, I love to hear scientific names pronounced by non Italians, especially in YT.

smithi (B.smithi) smit-eye? This reminds me of "bagai", a dialect word of the 'Bassa' (Lower Lombardy, Emilia Romagna region) used by the elders for depicts troublesome brats, sound exactly like "Bug Eye" in English, muahahahah, bug eye... a sort of flying eye bug monster :-s

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Oh good, there is someone else who thinks it is a bit much....:shy:

My question was more if these terms were universal in terms of countries. US and the Netherlands use the same terms I think?
I'm not sure what you mean by "same terms" but the source of truth on these matters is the International Committee on Zoological Nomenclature. No matter what country publishes research that affects the nomenclature of a species (assigning and changing scientific names assigned to a species and other taxonomic ranks), the rules must be followed to be considered valid by the scientific community. Or ideally anyway.

You can if you want;)

This is why I put it in this particular forum.... the description of which states that it is for "scientific questions and discussions." And I mentioned that I'm writing this for those who are interested. People who don't care can simply disregard it:)
Nope! I don't want to take the trouble in properly formatting a scientific name on a pet forum. It's just not worth the extra keystrokes. :) It's a good discussion though and I'm glad you posted this information.

My biggest gripe is the abbreviation of scientific names without first posting the full scientific name. Also with using abbreviations and the initials for common names. Some get quite creative and it gets really confusing at times.

Last edited:

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Eh eh, I love to hear scientific names pronounced by non Italians, especially in YT.

smithi (B.smithi) smit-eye? This reminds me of "bagai", a dialect word of the 'Bassa' (Lower Lombardy, Emilia Romagna region) used by the elders for depicts troublesome brats, sound exactly like "Bug Eye" in English, muahahahah, bug eye... a sort of flying eye bug monster :-s
But Italians also pronounce Latin incorrectly by classical standards :p Just read the name Cicero out loud. I bet you pronounce it as "chichero" or something along those lines, but the ancients did say "kikero".

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
But Italians also pronounce Latin incorrectly by classical standards :p Just read the name Cicero out loud. I bet you pronounce it as "chichero" or something along those lines, but the ancients did say "kikero".
Nope :)
Cicero is Cicero, I read that exactly like is written my friend. Chichero is incorrect, why the "H"... and I don't say kikero as well. But probably someone from Firenze would say ".i.ero" lol, since they don't spell the "C", ah ah ah :-s

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Nope :)
Cicero is Cicero, I read that exactly like is written my friend. Chichero is incorrect, why the "H"... and I don't say kikero as well. But probably someone from Firenze would say ".i.ero" lol, since they don't spell the "C", ah ah ah :-s
Ah, the "h" is just because I tried to write how it is pronounced by most Italians in English script. In Medieval Church Latin and Italian the name is pronounced with a "chi" or "tsi" sound ( [ʧiʧero] in phonetic script). The ancients Romans however, did say "kikero" ( [kikero:] )

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The ancients Romans however, did say "kikero" ( [kikero:] )
I don't know my man because the last remnant of memory I have from that era was me, a Roma (Roma SPQR I mean) citizen on my Meditteranean way home from the lands that today we call "the Middle East", with my boat full of carpets, gold, drugs, values. Then Verre ambushed us and killed without a trial everyone, but kikero exposed him and his crimes against Roma in the trial, finally. Glory to Mithras.

Woke up in Lombardy centuries after, the old language was disbanded :troll:

cold blood

Staff member
If smithi is supposed to be pronounced smit-eye...than there are a lot of people (including myself) who are pronouncing it wrong.
Pretty much everyone in the hobby actually. I've never heard it pronounced like that.
See, I've always pronounced it smith-eye...and to me when I hear smith-ee it sounds funny.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
See, I've always pronounced it smith-eye...and to me when I hear smith-ee it sounds funny.
Hrm, odd. I've always pronounced it red k-nee. :p

Really though I always used smith-ee because that was how I heard the guy say it at the pet show.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I see this all the time with Euathlus, where people write it as "E. sp." Never ever do that! That is nails-on-a-chalkboard bad in science, because it is simply too broad.
I'll stop typing E. sp. when I start writing scientific papers (read that as: never). To my knowledge, the Euathlus genus hasn't been described properly to begin with. I've heard that most of what we have, such as E. sp. "red," is actually Homeomma (however it's spelled). So if you really want to get technical, we might ALL be wrong... including you! :astonished::smug:

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I'll stop typing E. sp. when I start writing scientific papers (read that as: never). To my knowledge, the Euathlus genus hasn't been described properly to begin with. I've heard that most of what we have, such as E. sp. "red," is actually Homeomma (however it's spelled). So if you really want to get technical, we might ALL be wrong... including you! :astonished::smug:
Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 2.30.45 PM.png

Taken from Ferretti 2015. From this phylogeny, it looks like Homoeomma spp. are actually ancestral to the Euathlus spp. This paper lists several synapomorphies within the text that accept Euathlus as a monophyletic group, which confirms its validity as an accepted genus. Now, whether or not that's what WE have in the hobby is debatable. Probably hybrids.... if I dare use the forbidden "H" word here:drunk:

So if you really want to get technical, we might ALL be wrong... including you! :astonished::smug:
Being "wrong" in science is much more dignified than pretending to be "right":D. As taxonomy is a human invention, its accuracy is completely dependent on its acceptance among the scientific community.

And I used the "E. sp." example to discuss proper binomial nomenclature. I wasn't using it to argue the validity of the genus. But since you brought it up, it actually fascinates me too. Anyone else want to join this discussion?:rolleyes:

cold blood

Staff member
View attachment 230556

Taken from Ferretti 2015. From this phylogeny, it looks like Homoeomma spp. are actually ancestral to the Euathlus spp. This paper lists several synapomorphies within the text that accept Euathlus as a monophyletic group, which confirms its validity as an accepted genus. Now, whether or not that's what WE have in the hobby is debatable. Probably hybrids.... if I dare use the forbidden "H" word here:drunk:

Being "wrong" in science is much more dignified than pretending to be "right":D. As taxonomy is a human invention, its accuracy is completely dependent on its acceptance among the scientific community.

And I used the "E. sp." example to discuss proper binomial nomenclature. I wasn't using it to argue the validity of the genus. But since you brought it up, it actually fascinates me too. Anyone else want to join this discussion?:rolleyes:
Euthlus is a holding place for ts that need to be properly placed in time. At one time B. smithi was a member of the genus...its really a genus in a constant state of flux.

Your diagram is interesting, but at the bottom you'll see "figure 1"
Look at the very first word after that.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Euthlus is a holding place for ts that need to be properly placed in time. At one time B. smithi was a member of the genus...its really a genus in a constant state of flux.

Your diagram is interesting, but at the bottom you'll see "figure 1"
Look at the very first word after that.
Lol.... I expected someone to catch that. Every phylogeny is hypothetical. It is a proposed relationship schematic based on genetic analyses. This phylogeny is the most accepted. Stating this as hypothetical is the author's way of being transparent. There is no phylogeny that can be viewed as fact. They are ALL hypothetical unless you manipulated the generations in a controlled setting.

boina

Lady of the mites
Ok, I very rarely post, but this discussion got to me. I'm a biologist, I've trained as a zoologist. I also know Latin very well and I know old Greek. While the rules for the written scientific names stated here are entirely correct, the pronunciation rules are not. They may apply to English speaking counties - they do NOT apply to ALL countries.
In German (and the Netherlands, as far as I know) it's smith-ee. And Theraphosid-ay. Ae in German/Dutch is a pretty regular occurance and pronounced somewhat similar to -ay in English and guess what - we didn't change our language for scientific words.
Also the pronunciation of the different tarantula species given in the list linked in this thread was done by an ENGLISH prof. It may apply in English speaking countries. It most certainly has nothing to do with correct Latin or Greek pronunciation when appropriate and therefore it does not apply for other languages than English. Of course, Names of Persons (like smithi) are a completely different thing, but the way that guy wants me to pronounce names derived from Latin or Greek is not the way I've learned it and I've studied Latin for six years.
Sorry, I hope I haven't been rude. I'm just saying that just because you have been told it's pronounced like that in an English speaking country it doesn't mean that all scolars all over the world would agree with it.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Ok, I very rarely post, but this discussion got to me. I'm a biologist, I've trained as a zoologist. I also know Latin very well and I know old Greek. While the rules for the written scientific names stated here are entirely correct, the pronunciation rules are not. They may apply to English speaking counties - they do NOT apply to ALL countries.
In German (and the Netherlands, as far as I know) it's smith-ee. And Theraphosid-ay. Ae in German/Dutch is a pretty regular occurance and pronounced somewhat similar to -ay in English and guess what - we didn't change our language for scientific words.
Also the pronunciation of the different tarantula species given in the list linked in this thread was done by an ENGLISH prof. It may apply in English speaking countries. It most certainly has nothing to do with correct Latin or Greek pronunciation when appropriate and therefore it does not apply for other languages than English. Of course, Names of Persons (like smithi) are a completely different thing, but the way that guy wants me to pronounce names derived from Latin or Greek is not the way I've learned it and I've studied Latin for six years.
Sorry, I hope I haven't been rude. I'm just saying that just because you have been told it's pronounced like that in an English speaking country it doesn't mean that all scolars all over the world would agree with it.
Well, Latin and Old Greek are both "dead" languages and as such there is no longer a "correct" way to pronounce the words. People from different countries will use different systems of pronunciation. I tried to touch that subject a bit with my discussion with ChrisLXXIX in regards to Italian pronunciation of Latin (soft "C" sound in front of "i", "ae" or "e" in contrast to Classical pronunciation in which "c" and "k" was always hard.) When it comes to Old Greek, no one really knows how to pronounce it anymore. The distinctions between voiced, voiceless and aspirated stops no longer exists in modern Greek for example. Neither does the Old Greek system of word accents that involved pitch. So, also with Old Greek we will use different systems. Greeks will pronounce it close to Modern Greek, whereas we learned the Erasmian system when I studied it at the University of Oslo.

boina

Lady of the mites
Well, yes, that's certainly true. There are some things we do know, though - like which syllable to put a stress on and so forth. But whatever, pronunciation is always highly subjective and changing, too. I'm not claiming there's one true "classical" way to pronounce these names - I think there's a lot of tradition involved and when I'm in America I'll certainly rather use the American way of pronouncing things - I want people to understand me, after all. On the other hand the English pronunciation isn't going to get you anywhere in most of middle and eastern Europe (and Scandinavia, too, I'd guess?) because people simply have different rules.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
I have a Euathlus parvulus. It use to be Paraphysa parvula. Cute little thing.

What I was more referring to was our Euathlus sp. "red" and "blue" and so on. The ones that haven't been properly described. I'm not going to stop writing E. sp. red because just about everyone I converse with knows exactly what I'm referring to, and if they don't, Google will tell them. Because I'm not writing scientific papers, I'm conversing on social media with other hobbyists, and we abbreviate for the sake of brevity. GBB absolutely doesn't need to be typed out Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens every single time on Facebook or Arachnoboards or Instagram. Nor does PZB, OBT, LP, blue fang, etc. I get what you are getting at, but it doesn't apply much to social media.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thank you for clearing this up. I was already wondering if those rules applied all over the world or just in English :)