School Visits?

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
kellygirl--
emperor scorpions are the most commonly found in pet stores. i bought one my senior year of high school and it died around two weeks afterward, because the pet store dude who sold it to me had no idea what he was talking about. luckily, you have a wealth of scorp enthusiasts here whose brains you can pick apart. again, good luck.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Krystal, Krystal, Krystal!

I'm never one to shun outward affection, but Conipto has already publicly stated his love for you! A woman from VA on my butt is a good thing... a man from Chicago is not!

Now I've got to go find this wet t-shirt thread!

Botar

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by krystal
on an even more personal note: botar, you should replace your pig avatar with that pic of you at school. i don't think the entire arachnopets community appreciates your awesome body!

and hey, why _didn't_ you participate in the arachnowet t-shirt contest? with pec's like those, bill would have had some much-appreciated (and much-needed) competition!

hear hear!!!
Oops, this thread was about something else though, wasn't it?!

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've done presentations at my children's school (3rd grade classes). The tarantulas I brought were my Chilean Rose, Brazilian Black, Brazilian White Knee, and Mexican Red Knee.
I did a talk and allowed a question/answer period. After that, my wife and I took the containers around for individual viewing.
None of the children were allowed to handle the tarantulas (including my daughter who was upset because she handles them at home) because of the unpredictability of the situation. Got to figure the tarantulas are already out of there environment and there is all this noise and vibration. Even the gentlest of tarantulas might react poorly with all that commotion.
I took some out and demonstrated handling, but I understand the risk that I might be bit, but all went well.
The biggest point I tried to get across is that tarantulas are not the monsters that media portrays. They are living creatures to be respected and enjoyed for what they are.
I hope I managed to educate some children. They all seemed to respond very well to it.

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This spring im planning on these animals (I never take anything non hardy or aggresive!!) can give you an idea

1. land snails I got from www.carolina.com

2.field cricket

3.rose hair

4.giant black millis and desert millis

5.lady bugs

6.milkweed bugs

7.bess beetles

This keeps things interesting for a good while and people usally wont get bored with such variety.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
Krystal, Krystal, Krystal!

I'm never one to shun outward affection, but Conipto has already publicly stated his love for you! A woman from VA on my butt is a good thing... a man from Chicago is not!
i am sad to report that bill has politely turned down my offers to quit his job and move to virginia where his responsibility would be limited to keeping my bed warm and making me dinner.

well, it never hurts trying to get another notch on my belt!

about taking tarnatulas to school: i advise it. it's informative, fun, and it gets the kids out of reading or math for a half an hour or so.

and botar--if you feel compelled to show your t's again and your shirt slips off, make sure plenty of pictures are taken for me-er--US.

Last edited:

najig21

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by galeogirl
A house cat can bite a child and nobody cares, but if a reptile or a spider bites a child, it makes the news, even though the cat bite is probably more dangerous.
I sustain more injuries in a day from my kitten, than I ever have from the 5 years I've been keeping arachnids and reptiles.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
i am sad to report that bill has politely turned down my offers to quit his job and move to virginia where his responsibility would be limited to keeping my bed warm and making me dinner.
Wait, I don't remember that deal! Back off Mr. policeman, I'm not passing that up!

Bill

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
on an even more personal note: botar, you should replace your pig avatar with that pic of you at school. i don't think the entire arachnopets community appreciates your awesome body!
Mmm, my thoughts exactly. You are a very attractive man, Botar!

kellygirl

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alright, so I sent out a ton of emails to various schools in the two cities I spend most of my time in... I've already gotten 4 replies including an invitation to participate in a Science Night at an elementary school. Yay! But now I'm thinking that I need to broaden my invert collection so I can expose the kids to more than tarantulas... where to start?! Thanks for all the help everyone! I'll keep you updated. :)

kellygirl