Scholarly Journals on Theraphosidae?

RepugnantOoze

Arachnosquire
I am feeling very unread on lots of the finer aspects of these wonderful creatures and was wondering if there are "must reads" and some regularly updated resources I am not finding. New things seem to happen quietly round here.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
my biggest arachnid resource for news, help, etc. is www.arachnoboards.com ;)
theres tons of books as well. Tarantula keepers guide, tarantulas of the world, tarantulas and other arachnids, etc. theres lots of scientific books that really go into detail with different spider functions, most of it is about true spiders, but a good chunk of it still applies to tarantulas. see biology of spiders, spiders of north america: an identification manual.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Search "theraphosidae" at Google Scholar and clear your schedule. You can sort results based on the most recently published articles. I have an alert setup using that as a keyword so when the search engine finds new published articles, an e-mail is sent to me with the citations. I notice that Google finds new articles within a week of them being published online which isn't bad at all. The only downside to using Google Scholar is that since it searches both the catalogs of journal publishers as well as the catalogs of aggregate journal services (like JSTOR, BioOne, etc.) there are duplicate results or old articles can be listed as new ones.

I also recommend a membership to the British Arachnological Society not only for the quality of their journal "Arachnology" but members also have access to their library through the members' portal where you can download PDFs of journal back issues and other publications. What they don't have for download, their librarian will scan and e-mail you a PDF. That alone is worth the yearly membership fee.

Last edited: