Scholapendra dehanni not eating at all

Cecil the centipede

Arachnopeon
Cecil my boy is making me worried
Please help
He looks healthy and comes out at around 10pm uk time for 30 minutes but he refuses to eat anything and has been like this for about 5 to 6 weeks he has not got mites and I have seen him or her drink from water bowl. Any suggestions would be helpful as searched internet to no avail. Humidity and temp all good just lost on what to do for him.

krbshappy71

Arachnosquire
Maybe he is getting ready to molt. Mine disappeared under its water bowl for weeks, one time I lifted the water bowl to check on him and it waved its antenna at me so I set the bowl back down gently and waited again. Then suddenly weeks later again I caught him on webcam running around like his usual crazy self hunting the dubias. I was so happy!! I don't know if he molted but then the next night he was out again, curled up snacking on a dubia, he didn't even scurry away while I watched him with the flash light, it was so cool. If you post details and a picture of his enclosure someone here can help you better just in case it is the setup. How long have you had him for? I have a dry side and a wet/damp side for mine and I find he uses both.

Cecil the centipede

Arachnopeon
Maybe he is getting ready to molt. Mine disappeared under its water bowl for weeks, one time I lifted the water bowl to check on him and it waved its antenna at me so I set the bowl back down gently and waited again. Then suddenly weeks later again I caught him on webcam running around like his usual crazy self hunting the dubias. I was so happy!! I don't know if he molted but then the next night he was out again, curled up snacking on a dubia, he didn't even scurry away while I watched him with the flash light, it was so cool. If you post details and a picture of his enclosure someone here can help you better just in case it is the setup. How long have you had him for? I have a dry side and a wet/damp side for mine and I find he uses both.
He has a webcam and all the kit and kubudall I am going to upload a pic of his enclosure
He does have a damp side and a dry side in the pic u can see him at the back first time in a long time he has been out
Thank u for replying much appreciated

Attachments

Cecil the centipede

Arachnopeon
He has a webcam and all the kit and kubudall I am going to upload a pic of his enclosure
He does have a damp side and a dry side in the pic u can see him at the back first time in a long time he has been out
Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated as I cannot understand why he just does not want any food and to go for a molt it's a bit of a long time several weeks now.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
@NYAN can help more than me. I would offer some more hides, because that enclosure is bare to the brim. Centipedes are mostly nocturnal, so it can be a stress factor being exposed to constant light with no dark areas to stay hidden and dark.

Also that is not a S. dehanni, looks like S. subspinipes, but I'm not good when it comes to ID. So someone else can chime in on that.

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
Get him some cork bark and bark flats. I got a ton for only $3 each and you can just snap them in half n put in as many as you want. Also i’d give him some more substrate to burrow in.

NYAN

Arachnoking
has been like this for about 5 to 6 weeks

This isn’t a huge deal. It could be premolt or just not hungry.

Not to be harsh, but this is a terrible enclosure. You need way more substrate first off, opt for 8-10cm at least. Remove those wood chips. They can be toxic and can puncture your centipede. You also really ought to get a new enclosure. Once you raise the substrate the pede is at risk of escaping. They can push through that type of lid. Go and get a locking and airtight sealing plastic tub. Make sure you cannot squeeze your finger through. You also need to give it one or more hides. Use cork bark. It is light weight and looks good. The water dish is good and the moss is fine.

Also, what’s with the wires? Are you measuring heat and humidity?

Also that is not a S. dehanni, looks like S. subspinipes, but I'm not good when it comes to ID. So someone else can chime in on that.
It’s not your typical Vietnamese dehaani. It’s a Malaysian variety.

Last edited:

Cecil the centipede

Arachnopeon
No problem thank you for your advice I will sort it out asap
Like a storage tub ?? With locking sides ?
Oh feel really bad now I am obviously a novice at this but am very grateful for you advice
It will be sorted as soon as
Thank you

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Cecil my boy is making me worried
Please help
He looks healthy and comes out at around 10pm uk time for 30 minutes but he refuses to eat anything and has been like this for about 5 to 6 weeks he has not got mites and I have seen him or her drink from water bowl. Any suggestions would be helpful as searched internet to no avail. Humidity and temp all good just lost on what to do for him.
If its wild caught and full grown it could also be at the end of its lifespan. You just never know.

Cecil the centipede

Arachnopeon
If its wild caught and full grown it could also be at the end of its lifespan. You just never know.
Okay so I have bought new substrate and a storage box that a spider used to live in
I will post a pic when job is done and c if it is any better for him. Thank u so much for comments he may only be a centipede but he is my centipede.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Okay so I have bought new substrate and a storage box that a spider used to live in
I will post a pic when job is done and c if it is any better for him. Thank u so much for comments he may only be a centipede but he is my centipede.
If a NW tarantula lived in the storage box please clean, clean and clean. You'll want to get rid of any and all urticating hairs.

Cecil the centipede

Arachnopeon
So here we have the new enclosure. Please feel free to rip it apart but from what you lot have been saying it should be something like this
Theres a coconut hideaway in the rocks sphagnum moss water dish new substrate bout 9 to 11 cm thick
I will be putting heat pad on side and then temp and humidity reader in there. Is this ok ?

Attachments

NYAN

Arachnoking
So here we have the new enclosure. Please feel free to rip it apart but from what you lot have been saying it should be something like this
Looks much better.

I will be putting heat pad on side and then temp and humidity reader in there. Is this ok ?
No. Throw the temp and humidity reader in the trash. They are useless and unnecessary. You don’t need to measure either. It’s literally a matter of keeping the substrate moist. Don’t use a heat pad either. They don’t need one.

Cecil the centipede

Arachnopeon
Thank mr nyan whoever you are I'm am very grateful for your advice
Do u believe now he might start eating or is a waiting game for him to molt ?
Again cheers mate.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Thank mr nyan whoever you are I'm am very grateful for your advice
Do u believe now he might start eating or is a waiting game for him to molt ?
Again cheers mate.
You’re welcome. I’m happy to help.

As for it eating, only time will tell. Wait a week and try again. Let it settle in.

kermitdsk

Arachnosquire
I already had pedes that not eat for over three month and they are still fine. I don't think it's premolt because it's walking around premolt pedes hide. I guess it's just not hungry at the moment. You can also use plants and kork for you enclosure.

Cecil the centipede

Arachnopeon
So took your advice changed enclosure and substrate and waited one week to see he complety demolished a medium size roach in 20 minutes and left nothing. So happy thank you for all who commented and helped cecil get back to himself. Thank you.