Sand?

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
I'm trying to figure out what kind of sand is best to mix into millipede substrate.
All I can find is just "sand". Not what kind of sand.
Since there is so many different kinds of sands out there that one could buy and use, what do you use?
I've been guessing non-calcium based reptile sand would be best but I don't know.
Thanks in advance for helping me with this silly question lol

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I have used play-sand from Home Depot in some of my scorpions' enclosures. Haven't seemed to cause any major problems. Figure if it is safe for tiny kids, it wouldn't have any nasty pesticides or parasites in it. You can buy a huge 50 lbs bag for pretty cheap. What pede are you using sand for? Polymorpha? Figure you could just go with straight dirt/moss.

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
What pede are you using sand for? Polymorpha? Figure you could just go with straight dirt/moss.
Orthoporus ornatus, a desert species.
They would be just fine with a normal pede substrate, but my goal is to mimic natural conditions for them.
And seeing as their a desert species, sand is a key component to that.
I have seen / read play sand recommended for other species setups but I wanted to see what other people might use if anything different.
Play sand might be the best option overall though.

Thanks for your input!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I wouldn't add too much; maybe 25%? I use play sand, too and I also use chicken and bird grit. I know some of the big box stores (Home Depot, etc.) stock a desert type sand in their houseplant department. It would probably be more expensive to buy that way, however.

I installed a bog garden outside a few years ago. I needed a very low pH for that and I opted for play sand. My carnivorous plants are doing well, so I would guess it would be a lower pH. The chicken/ bird grit would be higher, I am guessing (and more calcium). I think near neutral would suffice for millipedes.You can try a pH test kit from a pet store. Put the sand in a cup and add water. Test the pH of the water before and after you add the sand and see what happens. Probably is a moot point; I just like to know these things...

Can you tell I have also experienced "sand-dilemma"!

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
@mickiem

I know to not add too much. I read around 60-70% sand for the O. ornatus, since they're a desert species.
But never specified what kind of sand.
Play sand was the only thing I Could ever find specified, but that was for other species setups (bioactive setups for herptiles).
I figured it'd work just the same for millipedes, but I'd rather double check than just assume.

A bog garden sounds cool. What kind of plants you got growing in it?
I plan on mixing in a calcium powder (specifically for pets) but only a small amount.
I've done it in the past, seems to work fine. I've also read that people have kept millipedes and never supplemented calcium and they do just fine, but I like going the extra mile with these guys!
I'll have to do that; I do plan on trying to get to the petstore later this week so I'll look out for a testing kit.

Yeah lol! I've always just used the dirt in my yard since it's the consistency of sand and I've found millipedes in my yard so I figure it can't be too bad if there are already millipedes there.
Problem with that is, I can't keep taking it from my yard, and I want something I can just scoop up and add without worrying about baking off possible pests and whatnot.
But anytime recently I've looked into sand, all I can find is "just mix in sand to the substrate...." no mention of what kind.
Kept thinking this is probably the most obvious thing, but I couldn't find the answer.
And I wouldn't mind trying to make my own substrate mixes for the 'pedes, since I could just make it whenever I need it rather than buying it and waiting for it to get here.
But I couldn't find what kind of sand just "sand". And me, I know there's so many different kinds of sands out there to buy.
Reptile sand has a bunch of different options (I hate how they advertise it for species that shouldn't even be kept on sand but that's a different discussion entirely), aquarium sand, play sand, etc.
And I hate to just guess what to use when it comes to pets because I wouldn't want to use the wrong kind.

Thank you for your input as well!
Who knew sand would be the most complicated part of taking care of millipedes for me haha :rofl:

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
@mickiem

I know to not add too much. I read around 60-70% sand for the O. ornatus, since they're a desert species.
But never specified what kind of sand.
Play sand was the only thing I Could ever find specified, but that was for other species setups (bioactive setups for herptiles).
I figured it'd work just the same for millipedes, but I'd rather double check than just assume.

A bog garden sounds cool. What kind of plants you got growing in it?
I plan on mixing in a calcium powder (specifically for pets) but only a small amount.
I've done it in the past, seems to work fine. I've also read that people have kept millipedes and never supplemented calcium and they do just fine, but I like going the extra mile with these guys!
I'll have to do that; I do plan on trying to get to the petstore later this week so I'll look out for a testing kit.

Yeah lol! I've always just used the dirt in my yard since it's the consistency of sand and I've found millipedes in my yard so I figure it can't be too bad if there are already millipedes there.
Problem with that is, I can't keep taking it from my yard, and I want something I can just scoop up and add without worrying about baking off possible pests and whatnot.
But anytime recently I've looked into sand, all I can find is "just mix in sand to the substrate...." no mention of what kind.
Kept thinking this is probably the most obvious thing, but I couldn't find the answer.
And I wouldn't mind trying to make my own substrate mixes for the 'pedes, since I could just make it whenever I need it rather than buying it and waiting for it to get here.
But I couldn't find what kind of sand just "sand". And me, I know there's so many different kinds of sands out there to buy.
Reptile sand has a bunch of different options (I hate how they advertise it for species that shouldn't even be kept on sand but that's a different discussion entirely), aquarium sand, play sand, etc.
And I hate to just guess what to use when it comes to pets because I wouldn't want to use the wrong kind.

Thank you for your input as well!
Who knew sand would be the most complicated part of taking care of millipedes for me haha :rofl:
I have used calcium sand. I am definitly not sure if it is different for millipedes, but both 2i scirplings died from what seems like dehydration. I would just use play sand. Probably your safest bet. My ratio is just to take a cup of any size. For every 3-4 cups of dirt, add one cup of sand and mix. Do that over and over until you get sand throughout. That's what I did, and I think it looks pretty nice :D Any dirt from the pet stire can be used as well, especially if you let it dry in the sun a little so that it isn't so moist.

SlugPod

Arachnoknight
I have used calcium sand. I am definitly not sure if it is different for millipedes, but both 2i scirplings died from what seems like dehydration. I would just use play sand. Probably your safest bet. My ratio is just to take a cup of any size. For every 3-4 cups of dirt, add one cup of sand and mix. Do that over and over until you get sand throughout. That's what I did, and I think it looks pretty nice :D Any dirt from the pet stire can be used as well, especially if you let it dry in the sun a little so that it isn't so moist.
Calcium sand seems to be bad for anything alive, I don't know why it's even being made/sold other than it sells.
Maybe mixed with other substrate it wouldn't be as bad but it just doesn't seem good based on what I know about it.

That seems to be the ratio I've seen other places as well, thank you!
I'll most likely just be going with a 50lb bag of play sand, for the amount, price and fact it's safe, seems like the best option thus far.