Salticidae photos

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Deroplatys that's a female Icius sp. (its hard to distinguish between I. hamatus and I. subinermis)

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks for the species direction Tarantula_Hawk :D
Do you know if any Icius sp. occur in England?
Where are they native to?

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Icius is a globally distributed genus (with the most being in the eastern part of the hemisphere, in Africa, Asia and Europe, with only two exeptions in Uruguay and Mexico)), doesnt have lots of species though. Anyways in Europe I. hamatus and I. subinermis ar by far the most common of the european Icius , the first one being Paleartic and the second one being typically Mediterranean. And while both are very common here in Italy and in other hotter mediterranean regions, none are reported in England.
Where was that picture taken? Dont tell me it was in England:D

Last edited:

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How did you know? :p
Thanks for that info, it would appear she is in fact an accidentally introduced species then :D
I fixed a tub for her and she seems to be settling in well, i chucked 2 fruit flies in there.
Heres her enclosure.

BTW shes gone into a little crevice between the bark and the plastic and started to make a sort of funnel web type thing, do jumping spiders normally do this or is she making a nest for some eggs :D

Spider-Spazz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This thread makes me want to include some jumpers to the family! {D I only have a couple of wolfies, funnel web spiders, black widows, and t's. Great pictures everyone! :clap: :clap: :clap:
This thread should definitely be a sticky!

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Interesting find then, lots of species are being accidentally introduced in England (see Segestria florentina and Steatoda nobilis ), including Icius then. I love that setup, where did you get that tube?
As for the web she's making, its normal for jumping spiders to build a retreat where they stay during the night. However since she's an adult female she actually might be making an egg sac, only time will tell:rolleyes:

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Reaching 20 pages you would of thought it would of been a sticky a dozen or so pages back :p
Im no expert with spiders but shes sealed herself in that retreat, kinda made a little dome with a sheet over it, im guessing that means that it is an egg sac?
BTW i was staring at a couple of pictures of the 2 Icius species you mentioned at it would appear that my one is indeed I.hamatus, the other one doesnt have as much colour as hamatus :p
Thanks for the help, finding a random alien jumping spider in the garden center i never thought i would get it ID`d :D

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool!

How did you know? :p
Thanks for that info, it would appear she is in fact an accidentally introduced species then :D
I fixed a tub for her and she seems to be settling in well, i chucked 2 fruit flies in there.
Heres her enclosure.

BTW shes gone into a little crevice between the bark and the plastic and started to make a sort of funnel web type thing, do jumping spiders normally do this or is she making a nest for some eggs :D

That is a REALLY good enclosure for a jumper. They tend to really like the vertical containers more than the ones with more ground room. I've been buying some vertical KKs on ebay.

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey all, this is my first contribution to this thread. I was up in MA for the weekend, and these little guys were all over in my parents' garden, I have no idea what species they are.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice one, and I guess that it was very, very small specimen.

This time something new. Parasitoid wasp hunting Salticus scenicus. I've seen something like this for a first time.

Sitticus sp.

Sitticus pubescens (?) and eggsack

The same species but another specimen

Freshly molted Evarcha arcuata male.

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

I'm 100% sure that she made that eggsack :D

Jumping spiders make relatively large eggs. Here is another example, female of Heliophanus auratus:

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Holy cow, those eggs are huge! It's almost like the Kiwi size to it's egg size. :)

Since this is the salticidae picture board, here...

R.I.P. little Alex...

leafhopper(1st or maybe 2nd instar sling). Nom nom nom

More eating...

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Phidippus otiosus sling, eating a cricket a bit bigger than itself :D

Wasn't sure it would be able to take it down, but the small bugger proved me wrong {D

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My babies molted!! :D

Molt position

I got the molt on video instead of pictures. Here's the result..

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's really cool Danielle! And unlike most other spiders, Salticids keep their cuteness even when they grow up :D