Salamander and a snake

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was riding around on a motorcycle and pulled over to turn some trash over. A Slimy Salamander was under a fridge someone dumped next to some gov property. Before I turned it over I said to myself, "I wonder if there's a Slimy Salamander under there." I saw one last year under the same fridge. Going to let it go but they are easy to keep and good eaters. But they can climb right up glass because they are so sticky. Good climbers with a semi-prehensile tail. The Eastern Blackneck Garter was under a rock in my backyard.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm shocked the snake didnt try to get away from you, think it may be ill?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The snake did try to get away. Bit me several times but it's something I don't think about with garters so I just grab them. These are my fav kind of garter snake,... if I was told I had to keep a garter snake, this would be the sp.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Garters are fun . . . we had the slightly more boring-colored ones all over the place in Eastern Oregon (yours is pretty!). The only problem I had with picking them up is how much they STINK if they get upset.

Shows that animals developed biological weapons long before humans . . . :D

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
What do garters eat?

And I guess you're gonna feed the salamander insects?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I thought it was mostly bugs . . . I've never known a snake to prefer gastropods.

I saw a big one years ago that had a mouse in its mouth.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your garters are much more beautiful then the ones I get around where I live. Very nice finds!

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah, and mostly without killing it properly first, too :rolleyes:.
that's why i only feed my garters (thamnophis sirtalis infernalis, the ones with the red head, and thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis, melanistic form) dead prey. they get small rodents and fish and do very well on this diet.

btw i nearly bought that species you found there instead of my melanistic garter - it's a thamnophis cyrtopsis occelatus. those are beauties! :drool: