Safe substrate for A. Chalcodese that worms cant burrow?

mateenm

Arachnopeon
I just found out that there are darkling beetles in my Arizona Blonde's enclosure because of burrowing super worms. I've been wanting to change his enclosure anyway since he jolted about a week ago and is a bit bug for his current home. What is a safe substrate I can use for his new enclosure that doesn't allow worms to burrow? If there is any-

HOITrance

Arachnosquire
I’m pretty sure superworms can burrow in anything save hardened excavator clay. I just crush the heads of the super worms and drop them near my T’s. They still eat them readily enough. It’s a good idea anyway as it’s known that superworms will spin around and bite your spider if they can reach them. Crushing the heads will solve both potential issues.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
if you had just made sure to really pre kill them before feeding(cut the heads off) you would never have that issue its that simple also a good idea to wait around to make sure your t really caught and is eating any other live feeders you happen to use good luck

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
If you pinch the worms with tongs behind it's head then roll the head on a hard surface they will just pop off and there is 100% no burrowing after that. AB top tip 😊

Although darkling are part of a cleanup crew, I have seen a couple of invert keepers that use them as part of the natural clean up crew.
I even have a t that eats them and only them if I give her worms, crix, locusts ect, she totally ignors them yet i have seen her eating the beetles, my jumping spiders do too so I wouldn't worry if anything it will end up as dinner 😆

I would like to say with both spoods this wasn't done on purpose it was before I knew the take the head off trick. I had a beetle hatch out in the 2 enclosures after thinking the spoods had eaten the worms . I came down to the black shell hanging in web no abdomen in my Phidippus enclosure and I caught my euathlus truculentus af eating one after being on hunger strike for a few months , now she won't take anything else 😑 I have tried she just let's the food walk all over her no reaction at all. Yet put a darkling in n she hunts it 🤷🏻‍♀️
After this I did look up darkling beetles and I found several ppl using them as part of a cleanup crew in bio enclosures with no problems. I couldn't find much on them as a food source though and not found anyone with the same problem of their t only eating the beetles.
I shouldn't imagine 1 will bother your t though. Just remove it n take heads off in future. I always do now just incase I don't want another spood that will only eat beetles !

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just found out that there are darkling beetles in my Arizona Blonde's enclosure because of burrowing super worms. I've been wanting to change his enclosure anyway since he jolted about a week ago and is a bit bug for his current home. What is a safe substrate I can use for his new enclosure that doesn't allow worms to burrow? If there is any-
color me crazy but you could try the common sense approach of crushing their heads just get a sledgehammer

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Additionally, if you have a substrate that beetle larvae can't burrow in, how is a tarantula able to dig down into it?

Prekill or change species of feeder as mentioned already.