safe shipping

Wallcrawler

Arachnopeon
Sorry if this is a redundant thread. I live in the northeast with temps getting into the high 30's low 40's during the day and 20's at night. Is it safe to have some T's shipped or should I wait until spring? I'm really jonesing to get some new T's!

Thanks

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have recieved them when shipped that cold but the sender always supplied a heat pack. I have seen heat packs kill so I dont ship until its warm enough to ship w/o heat packs. So in other words, its too cold for me to ship anything up to your neck of the woods although others would probably do it.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In the last two weeks I have had two shipments of Ts come to me just outside of Chicago. Keep an eye on weather.com and make sure that overnight temps in both places are in the high twenties to low thirties at least. Make sure the person who ships them packs them extremely well, with styrofoam and heat packs. Ship overnight, with signature due on reciept of package.
Once the Ts get to you, put them in their homes immediately, give them plenty of water and leave them totally alone for a couple of days. Once they have a few days to recover from the stress of shipping you can feed them.

ironmonkey78

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just make sure that the person your buying from knows what their doing. I.E. packing them correctly, and I know it sounds redundant but make sure that you have them ship on a day when you are going to be available to recieve the package. you wouldnt think this would be an issue that needs to be said but it sometimes gets overlooked. as long as its not below freezing and the shipper is good you shouldnt really have any issues. I got a package not to long ago here in colorado and all was good.

Wallcrawler

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the input. At least it is March now and the temps should be creeping back up soon. So I should be able to have them sent in the next couple of weeks. I don't think its an issue if I leave them where they are until them. Hard to be patient but its better than T-cicles!

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I just sent one across Canada in a styrofoam box with a heat pack, it was three days in transit and I'm pretty sure it must've encountered temps below freezing but the little guy has arrived okay. :)

One tip I was told by the woman at the post office is that the mail only moves at night, during the day it gets sorted and otherwise sits there, so if you have a time-sensitive package, it's best to drop it off mid-to-late afternoon as opposed to morning. Shortens the trip a bit anyway.