Safe methods of flea extermination

Leila

Arachnobaron
Things have been kept at bay thus far. I do allow one strange thought to enter my brain: WHAT IF FLEAS TAKE OVER THE INTERIOR OF MY LEG CAST THOUGH?? :astonished::astonished::eek::eek::dead::dead: Lol

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Anyway. The flea issue has not been one of insane proportions. I will heed all advice here to prevent such infestations. :kiss:
I am hoping you can keep it to a minimum since you caught it quickly! I know in 1994 (when we had our infestation from taking in feral kittens) I could literally walk across the floor in white socks and see them hop on. My ankles stayed covered in little bites. Today, like you, I am all about prevention!!!

NeptuneBlitZ

Arachnopeon
Any suggestions? We have 2 dogs and 2 cats, and summer has yielded some unwanted pests. Granted, our home is not housing an insane infestation at the moment. However, if any of you can lend some helpful ways to take care of this issue without any of the tarantulas undergoing harm, please please share.
Im a veterinary technician so for me the best bet is to keep your dogs and cats on a routine flea or tick prevention. I thinks pills do a better job (such as Bravecto, Comfortis) and you dont havw the greasy feel of the topicals. However the pills are by prescription only. If you have a infestation in your house it can take about 3 to 4 months to break the flea life cycle. If you use a vacuum with a bag, throw away the bag after each use. Fleas and flea eggs can still live and thrive in the bag. Hope this helps!

Leila

Arachnobaron
Im a veterinary technician so for me the best bet is to keep your dogs and cats on a routine flea or tick prevention. I thinks pills do a better job (such as Bravecto, Comfortis) and you dont havw the greasy feel of the topicals. However the pills are by prescription only. If you have a infestation in your house it can take about 3 to 4 months to break the flea life cycle. If you use a vacuum with a bag, throw away the bag after each use. Fleas and flea eggs can still live and thrive in the bag. Hope this helps!
Yes, I have found that the flea pills and chews from the vet work exceedingly well as far as prevention goes. :)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My dog threw up the pills (Comfortis?) -- anyway, went back to the spots for her (she's RB'd at age 15).
And I cannot imagine trying to pill my cat each month. I use the flea spot.
But -- it's about whatever works best for each individual.

@Leila -- How's the fleas - under better control now? AND did you get your cast off????????

Leila

Arachnobaron
My dog threw up the pills (Comfortis?) -- anyway, went back to the spots for her (she's RB'd at age 15).
And I cannot imagine trying to pill my cat each month. I use the flea spot.
But -- it's about whatever works best for each individual.

@Leila -- How's the fleas - under better control now? AND did you get your cast off????????
The little chew treats are super easy to give to dogs (not sure about cats.) I have had more success with them as opposed to the pills.

The cast is still attached to my body...
but not for long!! :D Monday is the big day!!!! I am soooo ready!! :astonished: :cat: