Safe Centipede Cage?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
There was a bite report several years ago. Not sure if it's still there or not. I'm guessing it was dry bites because it never hurt, but it was swollen for about 6 months and itched a pretty good bit. I did get some ugly looks at work and the boss made a new rule about unpacking animals at work. From then on I had to wait till I got home to check my mail. I will admit I was quite concerned for awhile though. I'll see if I can find the bite report and post a link for you.

Found it... http://arachnoboards.com/threads/scolopendra-subspinipes.254/

Thanks man. Btw ah ah ah about your Boss new rule :-s

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah, I used to get stuff in and my girlfriend at the time would bring it to me at work so I could check it off and make sure everything was ok. After that I had to wait till I got off to check things. Oh well, such is life.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That said, I've seen what few pedes I've had use the silicone in the corners of a tank as a ladder to get to the top.
Yes, almost forgot about that. My viv has all of the side sealant scraped off for that reason. Always scrape a tank if it's going to be used for a centipede. Scary critters I don't need snuggling up to me at night.

KingBaboon352

Arachnopeon
I have a 6 incher in a critter cage like the one picture above, the top is a pain for even me to get off so I have no worries of my pede escaping, plus my centipede even at night when its active doesn't try to scale the walls, when I first put it in the enclosure it climbed up and hungout on the top of the vented lid and soon came down> just keep an eye out and make sure you allways keep the top firmly closed when you close it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have a 6 incher in a critter cage like the one picture above, the top is a pain for even me to get off so I have no worries of my pede escaping, plus my centipede even at night when its active doesn't try to scale the walls, when I first put it in the enclosure it climbed up and hungout on the top of the vented lid and soon came down> just keep an eye out and make sure you allways keep the top firmly closed when you close it.
Which kind of KK you use, man? Can you post a pic, please :) ???

KingBaboon352

Arachnopeon
It's not the biggest size they have , it's around $10 and I used my hand to give a size comparison . They have a model that's bigger then this that's around $20-$25. It works for me though . I'd recommend the $20-$25 for big pedes. Hope this helps

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's not the biggest size they have , it's around $10 and I used my hand to give a size comparison . They have a model that's bigger then this that's around $20-$25. It works for me though . I'd recommend the $20-$25 for big pedes. Hope this helps
Thank you. Oh I know well those models of KK btw, I use those for some of my T's (P.murinus, C.marshalli etc) and they work very well. The reason why I didn't use one for a centipede is because I tought that from those vent holes they are able to "squeeze" and jump out easy. I'm happy to notice that with you works :-s

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Anyway, I've just played "hide & seek" -- I love to remove the top, and with tongs to lift a bit the cork bark for pinpoint the centipede -- and he/she was calm in that "snake" position where he/she burrowed :-s

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mine never is calm. Mine has two speeds, light speed and teleport. It seems to be solar powered because as soon as it's underground or under one of the hides it's power runs out. Flip the hide and it suddenly springs into overdrive with a fully charged battery. I've considered putting a tiny treadmill in there to power the house off of but I'm afraid it will produce too much power and burn the house down. I do believe centipedes are as close as we'll ever come to seeing a perpetual motion machine. They are soooo interesting to watch though.

KingBaboon352

Arachnopeon
Isn't it crazy how insects seem to also have their own personalities , mine never bolts it mainly just explores around goes back to his burrow .

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
However how much F-Word cool centipedes are, seriously? They are the ultimate badass predators IMO among inverts. There's no T's nor else :-s

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You're right about that for sure. I think it's mostly due to the fact that no matter where the prey runs to, there's pede there and it's spring loaded. Bump into a pedes butt... BAM! The head whips around and lands on you. They are so long and agile. It's amazing to watch them. I only have one, a small 3 inches or so, wild caught at a friend's house. I still dread the thought of it grabbing my finger and trying to make off with it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You're right about that for sure. I think it's mostly due to the fact that no matter where the prey runs to, there's pede there and it's spring loaded. Bump into a pedes butt... BAM! The head whips around and lands on you. They are so long and agile. It's amazing to watch them. I only have one, a small 3 inches or so, wild caught at a friend's house. I still dread the thought of it grabbing my finger and trying to make off with it.
Ah ah, we have here in Italy a native Scolopendra as well, S.cingulata, full WC of course in the house of those keepers. Basically a good starter centipede, because, aside for temperament and escape ability (the same) when the venom is concerned is a bit more "mild" than Asians or American ones.

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
However how much F-Word cool centipedes are, seriously? They are the ultimate badass predators IMO among inverts. There's no T's nor else :-s
Chris, are you questioning the almighty power of the GODDESS? (pbah) :angelic: ;)

Centipedes are the one thing that are banned in my house, and that's not something I have a problem with. I Have to agree with Vanessa that if a creature can scare Chris, the italian madman who cuddles with Queen baboons and OBTs, that's a creature that will eat me alive!!!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Chris, are you questioning the almighty power of the GODDESS? (pbah) :angelic: ;)

Centipedes are the one thing that are banned in my house, and that's not something I have a problem with. I Have to agree with Vanessa that if a creature can scare Chris, the italian madman who cuddles with Queen baboons and OBTs, that's a creature that will eat me alive!!!
Leonardo, my man from Calgary Alberta Canada (like Bret 'Hitman' Hart <--- enter the crowd scream) I forgive you :angelic: :kiss:

I forgive you and your question, questioning my loyalty to the Goddess. Nothing is more important for me than the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus, the Queen of Theraphosidae.

The Goddess (PBUH - Peace Be Upon Her) is like a dream, is like the fresh water of an oasis after El Alamein desert "man VS steel" battle, the Goddess is a gentle benign Mother, the Goddess is the older Brother fighting for his young Brother against bullies, the Goddess is the sweet uncontrollable feeling that move the fingers of a sexy young Lady forced to become a nun at her first night of sex abstinence, the Goddess is the Pure, Noble Arditi Spirit Crazy Flame and so forth.

I just fall in love with centipedes attitude. IMO those are really badass, and a pleasure to watch while hunting. I'm concerned about their (seriously) escape ability but that's all... nothing more. I play hide and (cork bark) seek with mine.

My man Leonardo, don't close the door of your life to those amazing animals... My man Leonardo join us, the devoted, humble Priests of the Goddess, saviours of mankind :pompous:

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Leonardo, my man from Calgary Alberta Canada (like Bret 'Hitman' Hart <--- enter the crowd scream) I forgive you :angelic: :kiss:

I forgive you and your question, questioning my loyalty to the Goddess. Nothing is more important for me than the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus, the Queen of Theraphosidae.

The Goddess (PBUH - Peace Be Upon Her) is like a dream, is like the fresh water of an oasis after El Alamein desert "man VS steel" battle, the Goddess is a gentle benign Mother, the Goddess is the older Brother fighting for his young Brother against bullies, the Goddess is the sweet uncontrollable feeling that move the fingers of a sexy young Lady forced to become a nun at her first night of sex abstinence, the Goddess is the Pure, Noble Arditi Spirit Crazy Flame and so forth.

I just fall in love with centipedes attitude. IMO those are really badass, and a pleasure to watch while hunting. I'm concerned about their (seriously) escape ability but that's all... nothing more. I play hide and (cork bark) seek with mine.

My man Leonardo, don't close the door of your life to those amazing animals... My man Leonardo join us, the devoted, humble Priests of the Goddess, saviours of mankind :pompous:
Because I know you like this game. A clip of me finding mine for it's viv revamp I did awhile ago.

..and another of it before being introduced back to it's home.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Because I know you like this game. A clip of me finding mine for the big revamp I did awhile ago.

I love that position, they are so gentle, like a baby sleeping :angelic: everytime I lift the cork bark for check if the centipede still is in the enclosure, I spot mine acting the same way as yours (btw mine went in full pet hole mode and made a nice burrowing under that cork).