S.paykulliana

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok..take one of these...

and use an airbrush...black, red, a little orange... and u get one of these...

Steatoda paykulliana

:Rockon:

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hard to believe they aren't widows, isn't it? Lol. Beauty of a spider there Buthus.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Am I correct that their venom is nowhere near as potent as a widows? Has anyone been bitten before themselves to confirm that?(well, not too, but then too...you know what I mean LOL!)

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, that is correct. Steatoda bites can cause some mild blistering, and some really faint Latro-like symptoms, but it is negligible, and nothing to worry about. These are not even as venomous as a yellow sac spider--not that you could tell from looking at them!:eek: :D

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When you get a sack, let us know.

I have a couple extra organs I won't be needing.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Had sudden unexplained deaths ..two of the adults. Maybe just old age. Grossa live on and on ...I wonder what the lifespan of these are? Too much going on in my life to conduct even basic research ...little embarrassed by that.

I do have slings and a couple new sacs ...seems that these are all gravid.

There are a few distinct morphs along with major regional pattern variations. It would be cool to get some others ...especially the yellow flavor.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
These sound like cool spiders. If you ever have excess ones, I'd likely be interested. How big are the adults? I recall visiting the California Academy of sciences and seeing little spiders I thought were blackwidows in the dart frog tanks...I recall some red coloring too. They were too small though, peppercorn sized.

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
S.borealis are found in your neck of the woods. Got any pics? :)
No I don't but I found one dead today so I was feeling it out (with my fingertip) and it seems fuzzy on the back of the abdomen. Shiny and smooth, it was a very pleasant smooth on the fingertip. I then ran my finger over top the spinneret and some silk came attached and I kept on pulling it out and it never ended, so I just gave up. It was pretty neat.