S. h. castaneiceps and S. h. heros mated!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Almost!, ha. Everything went great except the most important part. She missed the spermataphore! She even turned around but some of the webbing was spun on lose sub so it came detached a little and the spermataphore was off center because the webbing collapsed. Maybe that is just one reason we see them in rocky areas more than in sandy loam areas. But most dirt under natural conditions is more compact than this stuff, so that's just more weak speculation on my part. Got more vid but I'll have to get to a computer with DSL or cable to upload vid. It's real grainy but better than nothing.

You know the mating of these different color forms might explain the banded S. heros heros or the Davis Mountains pede color form....maybe? I've also heard the banded form occurs around Big Bend and west to the Chinati Mountains. I recently found out there is a pocket of S. h. castaneiceps on King Mountain in the middle of w tx so the black form is out there, crazy stuff.

Last edited:

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You sir are a mad scientist! And I eagerly await your results :worship:

And I'm also a little jealous that not only do you have two 'pedes from my wish list... but you have them in the same tank! MATING!!!

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now that's almost science, hehe :). I'd be really curious to see what happens if they actually breed!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!

phil .

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I downloaded the shortest vid I have of the male spinning web. The female is sitting there waiting for him to finish in the vid so she could walk through. It was really frustrating to see that tunnel collapse and see her miss the spermataphore.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wow, interesting! Are you going to try again? I hope so!

Oh and how did you sex them?