S. gigantea sp?

Mikko

Arachnopeon
Hey!
Im sorry for my bad english but you have to overlook it =D
I live in Sweden and i just love arachnids. I keep both spiders and centipeds but mainly scorpions.
Now to my question:
I will receive a new scolopender next week, and its a S. gigantea gigantea. (Said the previous owner)
Im wondering wich scolopendra its the "true" gigantea. The S. g. robusta or the S. g. gigantea?
He said that this one is the "true" gigantea wich will grow even bigger than the robusta. Have you guys any idea of which one is the largest and if there really is a scolopendra called S. g. gigantea?
I will try to post pics of it when i get it. He also told me that they typically reach about 10 inches but could be as large as 14-16 inches. This sound almost unnaturally, could it be true?
Im very thankfull to any answers!!
Be carefull with you peds all.
/Mikko Seppänen

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Hey Mikko,

Truly, no one knows which is the true gigantea. I've heard "robustum" is. BTW, that's not a valid name last I heard. It should technically be referred to as Scolopendra sp. "robustum". I have to update my gallery page to reflect this, but I've been really lazy ;) I've also heard that the Puerto Rican giants may actually be the "True" gigantea. No one knows though. Centipede taxonomy is in a worse state than tarantula taxonomy.

Hope that helps some,

Scott

Mikko

Arachnopeon
Thanks, its was as i thought. But anyway, i´ll try to post pics of it when ill get it. The "robusta" its red but this one was something else, i cant describe it so i´ll try to post pics.
Thx again for you answer!!
/Mikko Seppänen

P

Phillip

Robustum is the biggest...

I haven't heard the name being incorrect thing but wouldn't be surprised. I can tell you though that the Robustum is the largest and they are also way cool pets. Not nearly as flaky and jumpy acting as a subsinipes or most of the other Scolopendra for that matter. They will still tag you but they just seem a bit slower and more deliberate.
Phil