Running Crab Spider-Help with ID, please?

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hi everyone!

I have a beautiful female Running Crab Spider (RCS for short, LOL) & I cannot find an ID or info on her. After months of searching the Internet, I gave up the search. Then I thought, "Why not ask the AB members???" And here I am! :)

The first pic is the sling I have now. The other 4 pics are of the same Genus, but an older and bigger (better pics) female I released in Feb. this year. I would have used pics of the sling, but she just molted. I didn't want to disturb her for a pic session. BTW, I watched her complete molt-5 minutes total! :eek:

She will eat small flies such as Phorids (I HATE these!) and D. hydei, but she absolutely goes nuts for small moths! The bigger female did too. She was found in my room, and I never see these outside. :?

Any ideas? All comments welcome, and thanks in advance! Have a great day, everyone! :) S.

Last edited:

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Hmm.. We don't have much experience with Philodromids but since no one else has come up with a possible ID, I am going to give it a shot, LOL!

After looking online through diff. documents and pictures, I am going to guess this beautiful spider might be from the Genus Apollophanes although I am not quite sure on a species because the A. margareta are much darker in color than your spidiie soo, I am not 100% on that. :?

Here is the pictures/information I used for the Genus Apollophanes:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/216367/bgimage

If no one comes up with a better ID, I'll do some more researching after I return from class tonight.. Good Luck! ;)

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
I think you nailed it!!!!!! :worship::worship::worship:

I looked at the link you posted, and immediately my eyes found the last 3 pics in the first set. That's my girl! Yay!!!! :clap:

Thank you so much for your time and researching, davisfam! See? This is why I love to help with Spider IDs...{D

Now I think I'll go catch her a big fat Moth to celebrate your find! :)

Thank you again for helping me find the ID, I never even looked at that page of BG... :8o

Let me know if I can help with any IDs you're looking for, OK? I love nothing better than to research and learn! Have a great evening! S.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Wow, really?! Awesome! You are very welcome, we love to help! :D

It's always hard to ID a spider from pictures; all the different models of cameras and the various qualities of photo captures, etc. That's why I love these discussion forums; finding an ID is much easier with 2 minds on the case instead of just your own! LOL!

We always use BugGuide.net as one of our references for North America spiders, for the most part, it's loaded with information. It's one of the more legit websites for information that I have come across on the internet. You have to be so careful with internet sources these days.. soo much BS out there, blaah! :mad:

Also, can you please check the other thread.. if possible, I think we might have a little more investigating to do on this darn burrowing wolf spidiie! :wall:

Enjoy your beauuutiful gal, post more pictures as she grows and changes, please! Thanks! ;)