Rosie kicks

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My Rosie has allways been the sweetest ittle thing. But i have recently changed her potting soil with some bark stuff to get the humidity down. It did help, but she was not that happy about it and her behavior got suddenly aggressive and yesterday she kicked me with her front legs when i changed the water.

So i have changed back to potting soil and she is again more active and very nice again, and oddly enough the humidity is still low.

Is his normal behavior?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Rosie has allways been the sweetest ittle thing. But i have recently changed her potting soil with some bark stuff to get the humidity down. It did help, but she was not that happy about it and her behavior got suddenly aggressive and yesterday she kicked me with her front legs when i changed the water.

So i have changed back to potting soil and she is again more active and very nice again, and oddly enough the humidity is still low.

Is his normal behavior?

Define normal for a rosie?....Its just so funny how our t's have us wrapped around their fingers..I was laughin when you typed " So now I HAVE changed it back" like you was trying to make a spoiled child happy again lol...But with rose hairs as long as their substrate is like dry with a water dish they will be rosies...Most rose hairs don't move much anyway so the fact that you have an active rose hair is not uncommon but its not what rosies are known for..AKA pet rocks

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not just for rose hairs but most T's will be aggrivated when they get used to thier home and it is suddenly changed.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hmm NORMAL for a G. rosea? I dont think there is such a thing. only thing normal about them i can see is that they defy all description as to thier attitude. They seem to be very unpredictable.And for an alledgly docile species they are amazingly varied in thier temperament

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok i guess she is just crazy:D
She is back to normal, and for her it means she is very active and sweet again;)

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok i guess she is just crazy:D
She is back to normal, and for her it means she is very active and sweet again;)
If my rose hairs were active I'd of kept them.
but I just won't risk wasting money on a T that's 90% likely to be a pet rock lol..

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Just so you know, if a tarantula is ACTIVE, something is wrong. A happy, healthy, content tarantula pretty much never moves.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just so you know, if a tarantula is ACTIVE, something is wrong. A happy, healthy, content tarantula pretty much never moves.

Okay. Dont know what is wrong then. She is maybe stressed becaused i have changed her back and forth a lot the last month. Because i wanted to give her the best possiple conditions. Before i got some advice wich then others said was wrong and then that was wrong and there it goes, big confusion for me and my rosie;-( But i have now gone back to some basic guidelines, and i will not change for some time now. The temperature is approx. 24C and humidity at 60%. So she will get some peace for now, and me too;-)

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay. Dont know what is wrong then. She is maybe stressed becaused i have changed her back and forth a lot the last month. Because i wanted to give her the best possiple conditions. Before i got some advice wich then others said was wrong and then that was wrong and there it goes, big confusion for me and my rosie;-( But i have now gone back to some basic guidelines, and i will not change for some time now. The temperature is approx. 24C and humidity at 60%. So she will get some peace for now, and me too;-)
Its probably the changing around. Whe I first move one into a new enclosure, there is a lot of moevemnt until finds a nice place to den up. everytime you move it, or change the tank around, you force it to find a nice secure place al over again. Truthfully, once they get in their permanent homes, I never change anything unless there is a mold outbreak or some other catastrophe.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Exactly my thouhts. She will be kept here for a long time and she should get happy eventually;)

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
moving around

A good rule, is to only change/clean the container when it smells, when T is outgrowing it, or if a mite outbreak or mold or such occurs. I try not to change my enclosures unless really necessary. Ts get used to their surroundings after time, and it stresses them to have unfamiliar environment too often. They can show this as climbing the walls, excess pacing around, etc.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ok tells me why she has tried to climb the walls and pacing a lot. She has been sitting on top of her house today. So i think it will get better now;)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
A good rule, is to only change/clean the container when it smells, when T is outgrowing it, or if a mite outbreak or mold or such occurs. I try not to change my enclosures unless really necessary. Ts get used to their surroundings after time, and it stresses them to have unfamiliar environment too often. They can show this as climbing the walls, excess pacing around, etc.
a mite or mold outbreak shouldnt ever happen in a g. rosea tank since it should be bone dry

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Is that really true, or just for some species?
Yes, it's the truth.

This of course does not apply to the "activity" of something like a C. cyaneopubescens webbing all over its tank, or the "activity" of a happy G. aureostriata bulldozing the substrate around. But in general? A healthy happy content tarantula is pretty much a lump.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yes, it's the truth.

This of course does not apply to the "activity" of something like a C. cyaneopubescens webbing all over its tank, or the "activity" of a happy G. aureostriata bulldozing the substrate around. But in general? A healthy happy content tarantula is pretty much a lump.
is lump in your head? shes lump shes lump shes in my head ....

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
is lump in your head? shes lump shes lump shes in my head ....
Lump lingered last in line for brains
and the one she got was sorta rotten and insane . . .

Thanks alot! I will be humming this song for hours. That being said, I totally agree on the Happy=Lump. (not that T's can experience Happy, but you know what I mean) Pacing, climbing, T usually needs something- drier substrate, less light, more cover, remove prey etc. It's a great indicator that SOMETHING isn't right. Figuring out the SOMETHING is the tricky part, but tons of great info and experts on this board to help with this.

. . . Is this lump outta my head?
I think so

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
substrate

Betting money that the substrate is the SOMETHING. Pretty safe to say that most rosies hate moist substrate. Keep them bone dry (with a water dish) and I think you'll see a happy lump. Tony