Rosea question.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My two rsoeas are acting weird... (gee, what a surprise!). I rehoused them yesterday. A buddy of mine came over and we landscaped two 10 gallow tanks with peat based soil (no chemical additives), fake plastic plants, some rocks which were boiled for sterility. The tanks look awesome. I lucked out and got two 10 gallons for like 15 bucks each, brand new. The screen top covers themselves cost more.

After severla hours of fun playing with dirt, and sculpting it with spoons, debating about where the fake plants should go with my buddy; I put them into their respective enclusure, and sat there watching. They were slow, walking about, and reached the side of the smooth new glass, and began to climb... nothing unusual here... (I used the 1.5x rule).

Micah climbed, and eventually found the premade burrow and remained in there. Lydia on the other hand decided to climb upside down on the screen mesh. I went to sleep, and woke up to see how their exploring was going, well; Lydia was still upside down... still!! What's going on?

The substrate is a bit moist, and I know they(roseas) like it dry. Could this be why they are avoiding the substrate?

Or, there's the possibility they are just being roseas and being weird...

My other question is, are they always going to climb?? Or just while they map out the territory?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It being a bit wet is more then likely the reason they are climbing like that. Plus when you re house Ts they like to explore. I am sure they will settle down over the next few days as the tank dries on it's own.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, it's definately the rehousing and moistness that's keeping her up on the walls and/or screen. Some Ts will explore like no tomorrow, others will hide and then explore. Now, the moistness is what's keeping her up on the screen lid though. I would remove her from there by gently taking off the lid and persuading her into a container and the putting her back in the cage onto a rock or something not covered in dirt. PLacing her on the dirt will make her want to get off the substrate and wander again, maybe even end up on the screen again. Usually if you place them on a decor item that's dry they'll stay put till the rest drys.

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, it's definately the rehousing and moistness that's keeping her up on the walls and/or screen. Some Ts will explore like no tomorrow, others will hide and then explore. Now, the moistness is what's keeping her up on the screen lid though. I would remove her from there by gently taking off the lid and persuading her into a container and the putting her back in the cage onto a rock or something not covered in dirt. PLacing her on the dirt will make her want to get off the substrate and wander again, maybe even end up on the screen again. Usually if you place them on a decor item that's dry they'll stay put till the rest drys.
Yea i agree with Novak they like it really dry but no worries i damped my rosies substrate one time they didnt like it one bit juss maybe mist the walls a lil they dont even like water touchin em thats how bad they hate it!!

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you might want to check that the T upside down on the screen is not snagged there by the small hooks on its feet.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
you might want to check that the T upside down on the screen is not snagged there by the small hooks on its feet.
i had to get my female A. anax off the screen the other day . misted tooo much on the substrate and she went all aboreal on me. she was up there for the entire day and when i got hme she seemed to not be able to get her claws loose. so i stuck my hand nder her back and held her up and she sort of let go wiht all feet. not sure what was up . she normally kicks hair at me and even has slapped my hand a couple times but this time she was very nice and let me handle her and flip her back ofer on my other hand and sit her back in the tank , and she promptly climed on her hide till the substrate dried lol

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yea normal, probably because its a new setup and mainly because the substrait is moist.

btw 10g's are 8$ at walmart by me;P lol