Rose hairs biting....

JonnyK

Arachnopeon
I know rose hairs generally don't bite but some have I've heard. I was wondering if for those that have biten if they were all females, because the females seem like they would have a better chance being aggresive since they sometimes try to kill the male after breeding. I'm asking because I went to this site and they were selling rose hairs and the note next to them said "THESE DON'T BITE, EVER!" and since there have been instinces where they have bitten I thought maybe they were selling only males if that was the case. Also, I was wondering, in the care sheet above on rose hairs, did he mean 1 out of 1000 rose hairs will ever bite someone in its entire life, or you have like a 1 out of 1000 chance of your rose hair biting you when you hold it. If it's 1 out of 1000 rose hairs will bite, I think your odds are good that yours will never bite. Right? :p

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its pretty damn hard to get bitten by ANY tarantula IMO, Its not like they can fly after you.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Rest assured any time you get bite its your fault. So odds of this and that and theory mean nothing really because every time you get bit its your fault. :p

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know rose hairs generally don't bite but some have I've heard. I was wondering if for those that have biten if they were all females, because the females seem like they would have a better chance being aggresive since they sometimes try to kill the male after breeding. I'm asking because I went to this site and they were selling rose hairs and the note next to them said "THESE DON'T BITE, EVER!" and since there have been instinces where they have bitten I thought maybe they were selling only males if that was the case. Also, I was wondering, in the care sheet above on rose hairs, did he mean 1 out of 1000 rose hairs will ever bite someone in its entire life, or you have like a 1 out of 1000 chance of your rose hair biting you when you hold it. If it's 1 out of 1000 rose hairs will bite, I think your odds are good that yours will never bite. Right? :p
Ha, that guy is saying a load of BS. Don't buy from him. Also, rose hairs, better known as Grammostola rosea are pretty wierd tarantulas. They will be docile and gentle one day and the next day they will be the spawn of satan. They are unexpected. All 3 of my G.rosea are calm, but in the time I have owned them all of them have thrown a threat display.

Like Ryan said, there are no theories on getting bit or not. Its your fault when you do. Just look at the signs the T is giving you to avoid a bite.

Males and females both bite. Females more often then males, but that doesn't mean a male won't. I've had a mature male A.chalcodes and G.rosea throw threat displays. Though it was usually a couple minutes after mating.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good point lol, dont ever try to touch one after a mating no matter how sweet you think she is. They are in la la land and will take a finger with them for breaking the trance. I should know, my female Vagans tried to take a finger and a thumb.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Males and females both bite. Females more often then males, but that doesn't mean a male won't. I've had a mature male A.chalcodes and G.rosea throw threat displays. Though it was usually a couple minutes after mating.

Yeah, I think i'd get pretty aggro too if i'd just finished doin the nasty and some giant bug busted into my bedroom and tried to grab me...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, I think i'd get pretty aggro too if i'd just finished doin the nasty and some giant bug busted into my bedroom and tried to grab me...
Haha, I agree. I've actually seen a threat display by the male G.rosea before any mating began. It was wierd.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha, I agree. I've actually seen a threat display by the male G.rosea before any mating began. It was wierd.

While they were in the enclosure together?

Perhaps our "higher" mammalian brains can't tell the difference between a threat display and a rosea's sexy dance. Your rosie is just an exhibitionist!

You'll have to excuse me, i've had a rough day and i'm getting a little kooky over here.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
While they were in the enclosure together?

Perhaps our "higher" mammalian brains can't tell the difference between a threat display and a rosea's sexy dance. Your rosie is just an exhibitionist!

You'll have to excuse me, i've had a rough day and i'm getting a little kooky over here.
Ha, no they weren't in the enclosure together. THe male didn't even see the female yet.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have an imature male that if I gave it a chance, I'm sure he would like to bite me. He always tries to slowly find my hand when I'm cleaning his cage and once he's found my hand he slaps me. I don't let it go any farther than that.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well my rosie is a big cream puff

I've not (yet) seen even the slightest defensive behavior. On the few times i've handled her she seemed fairly content in my care whether she was trucking along from hand to hand, sitting quietly in my palm or exploring the coffee table for my young nephews to watch from their hiding place under the couch. She was startled once by someone talking too loud near her but she just started to run into my sleeve rather than flick or posture.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I doubt it was someone talking loudly that startled your t.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
My male rosea (RIP)... you wouldn't even wanna look at it from too close by. It would go ballistic whenever you tried to do the smallest thing in its tank. Kinda good training for when I moved my lividums.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep my 3.5" rosea in a large rubber maid tub. Obviously, I've drilled holes into the top. So when I have to feed her I open the top up and remove it. This makes her active. I dun't know why, maybe it's the bright gush of lights? But whatever, she usually slowly make sher way doing that majestic tarantula walk towards the sides, and starts climbing. So I put my hand on the outer edge and she eventually finds her way into my hand and then I just bridge my hands one after the other. She never gets tired!

I was doing this today, and she made her way to the corner, and put her top legs up as if to climb over. So I got ready and put my hand onto the outer edge, expecting her to continue after her pause. I didn't touch the container, I didn't breathe on her, I didn't talk, nothing made a sound. But out of nowhere she teleported across the container for no reason. (Well, there must have been a reason, but I'm oblivious to it.)

JonnyK

Arachnopeon
Ha, that guy is saying a load of BS. Don't buy from him. Also, rose hairs, better known as Grammostola rosea are pretty wierd tarantulas. They will be docile and gentle one day and the next day they will be the spawn of satan. They are unexpected. All 3 of my G.rosea are calm, but in the time I have owned them all of them have thrown a threat display.

Like Ryan said, there are no theories on getting bit or not. Its your fault when you do. Just look at the signs the T is giving you to avoid a bite.

I let her know that she might be getting customers confused by that and she's going to change it. She said she didn't know, because she's never been biten by them. Lol.
Rest assured any time you get bite its your fault. So odds of this and that and theory mean nothing really because every time you get bit its your fault. :p
Well, I'm talking about when you're holding them. I've heard them biting out of no where without any warnings at all.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've been bitten by a large female G. rosea, and I've seen many others of this species put on some impressive threat displays, no doubt more than willing to bite if given a chance. The thing I've found with this species is that they seem to be more moody and unpredictable than most; they can be really sweet one day and totally ballistic the next, for no apparent reason.

pitbulllady

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I keep my 3.5" rosea in a large rubber maid tub. Obviously, I've drilled holes into the top. So when I have to feed her I open the top up and remove it. This makes her active. I dun't know why, maybe it's the bright gush of lights?
She gets active because of the vibrations caused from opening the lid. My females do this too.

I let her know that she might be getting customers confused by that and she's going to change it. She said she didn't know, because she's never been biten by them. Lol.

Well, I'm talking about when you're holding them. I've heard them biting out of no where without any warnings at all.
:clap: Alright good, we don't want false information going around.

BooyaTarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To answer your question... All spiders bite, my friend. They are predators, and they all have fangs which they all are capable of using to puncture your flesh (and mine for that matter). It will hurt. There is no such thing as a T that "does not bite, ever". I am not trying to scare you or wile you out of handling your T, but it is important to realize that these animals are unpredictable and you must always be prepared for a bite if you choose to handle them. Good thing you posted, or you would have been in for a surprise!!! If you want to handle your spider, look through the thread for beginners, it shows EXACTLY what you need to do and how to do it. Good luck!